Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help! My boxer is a potty training nightmare!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

I need some advice from pet lovers, particularly from anyone who knows anything about potty training boxers (or really any dog).

I have a 13 week old boxer. I got him at 11 weeks, so have only had him for two weeks. The people who we got him from had started potty training using the cue words "hurry up" to tell him to go potty. He does pretty good going pee outside, and will wake us up even to go outside (with the occasional "oops" when he's really excited, but that's okay for now). What really is getting me is that he will go outside, pee, then come in the house, and go poop. Once in awhile he will go outside, but usually he prefers to go #2 in the house.

He is crated during the day- usually from the time my husband goes to work at 9 until I get home at 12:30, then I let him out while I'm on lunch, then he goes back in from 1:30 to 3:30. The rest of the time he's out of his crate and free to roam only a few rooms of the house (we have the rest gated off so we can watch him better, keeping his accidents to a minimum). I don't know, at this point, what else we can do! Someone suggested keeping him crated all the time except for letting him out, but I don't want to do that.

Thoughts?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I am presuming he does not have free access to food all day so it should be easier to time when he needs to poop.   How long does he stay outside and how often do you actually take him for long walks?  I would talk to a vet and a dog walker that uses positive reinforcement for help.

wyomomof4
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

He does not have free access to food all day. He stays outside for the entire lunch hour, and for about an hour in the morning before everyone goes to work/school, and for an hour at least at night, depending on the weather (it's already been snowing here, and he hates it). He goes for walks at least once a day (we live right next to the park, and I have 4 kids who love to walk him)

nooneexciting
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM
A puppy does not gain any semblence of Blatter control until about 16wks. You need to take him out as frequently as every two hours. Immediately after eating. Right before you really play hard with him. Right when he wakes up and right before bed. And probably partway through the night.

Crate training is a wonderful way to help this along.

Another thing you can do is while he is outside, have treats in your pocket. The minute he starts to go name it! *good pee! Good poppies! When he is done give him a treat immediately. This helps reinforce where you want him to go.

Until then...NATURES MIRACLE (pet smart carries it) does miracles. It breaks down all the potty smells and bacteria better then resolve or regular carpet cleaner ever will.
nooneexciting
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Also keep him outside until he poops. This may take a while but you have to stick to it.

Running his nose in it or hittig him after you find it will do nothing but encourage him to poop in more hidden locations.
wyomomof4
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Thank you! I've tried keeping him outside until he goes, but there's no way he has to poop every single time he goes out, ya know? So it makes it hard, because right when I think he probably doesn't have to go, I let him in and he goes on the floor. ha ha.

I know he doesn't have the bladder control to hold it for long, I do let him out quite frequently when I'm home (and in the crate he's never had an accident while I was at work), so we're doing great with pees, but I'm not really sure what's going on as far as why he doesn't want to poop outside.

As for rubbing his nose in it or spanking him, I would never do that... :)

vand6584
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM

You need to reinforce that outside is where to go.  When he goes in the house tell him bad dog.  Immediately take him and the poop outside.  Place the poop on the grass and show him and tell him potty, or whatever your cue word is.  I know most people pick up the poop right away, but you may need to leave some out there to stimulate that outside is where poop belongs.

jl89
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I completely cage trained my dog. When she went potty outside she got some free time out of her crate (about five minutes). Any other time she was in her crate. It took her about a month I think to be potty trained, but it worked like a charm. It seems mean to keep your dog in a crate at all times, but my dog started to think of the crate as home. Even after we stopped using it she still went in there when she wanted quiet time or to sleep. 

Eva4357
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I potty trained my 6 week old pitbill/boxer mix in 2 weeks, in the winter, thanks to my Aunt who is a dog trainer. Here are her guidelines, for what they're worth...

First of all, crates are for sleeping and babysitting (I.e. until the puppy is old enough to be trusted in the house lol).

Second, use a code word that allows your voice to be super happy... we chose "Potty, potty!" which worked like a charm.

Third, EVERYTIME the puppy goes, you say "Good potty, potty!" as excited and repeatedly as you can and give it a treat IMMEDIATELY! (Positive reinforcement only works if you do it right then).

Fourth, make sure to stay out long enough to give the baby time to poop. What goes in, comes out so if you're regulating the feeding,  you should be able to regulate the pooping (I.e. 5-10 minues right after eating is usally what happens) or at least time them better.

Fifth, everytime the puppy sits near the door to go out, take it out, no matter what. That way they learn how to ask.

Sixth, when they do go in the house, pick it up, take it out side with the puppy, put it where you want it (I.e. in the grass somewhere) and say "Potty, potty". THat way they understand that your code word doesn't just mean pee (This is a confusion that my puppy had lol... this worked).

Seventh, he might just be cold or doesn't like snow so you may have to bundle up and play outside so the puppy will learn to love it and you both can stay outside long enough for him to go.

And last, but NOT least... when he does poop outside, use your code word and HAVE A PARTY!! I mean, the most excited voice you can make, the biggest cheers, lots of praise and, of course, the treats :).

This has worked for me and every dog my family raised when I was growing up, reagrdless of breed... hope it helps!

Good luck!

momto3B
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM

You need to walk himk until he goes both pee and poop. Generally, my dogs go poop after they have breakfast. I use "hurry up" as well and it really does work. 

trainlady
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM

No don't keep him crated all the time. How would you like to live in a crate? Also how is he going to fit in with the family and play and love you if he's in a crate? Also, if you want a dog in your family why put him in a crate all the time? Now having been a breeder and shower of dogs for many years I have a unique suggestion. The next time he poops in the house scoop it up and take it outside and dump it where you want him to go. You can specify a certain area in the yard that you want him to use. Then put him on a leash and lead him to the area where the poop is and let him sniff it and get used to that area and that smell. After a few times of doing this he will get the message that this is the place for poop. You can even train them to pee in a certain place by following this system. Also, be sure you clean the area in the house where he pooped with something that completely removes the smell even from his tender nose senses. All of my dogs are trained to go to the back fence and do their business. There are trees there that they pee on and that way we can use the main part of the yard for the kids to play in without fear the kids stepping in poop. Now it takes time and patience just like it did with potty training children and that was easier because they speak your language. Dogs don't speak your language and go by signs and patterns.Good luck and hope my  advice works for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)