Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Someone help me with time management!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have 2 small kids under age 2. My mornings are just really dramatic. I wake up, they wake up, scream because both want to be held. I am trying to fix breakfast, stop them from screaming, change their diapers, fix my coffee (a need) etc etc. Those are just the mornings. How in the heck do moms get out for playdates in the morning? I can't even gets things running smoothly at home. I have been trying to exercise during the day but can't seem to find a spare minute. I put them down for naps around noon but then I have to choose between cleaning, cooking, relaxing or exercising. Most times I just want to relax. So this morning I tried waking up an hour earlier, before the kids wake up, to exercise and take a shower. I do succeed at finishing my exercise routine (30 min long) and finish my shower just in the nick of time. But honestly, it just felt weird to exercise straight after waking up. I was half asleep while working out. I may have to move that to nights after kids are in bed. The second I step out they are screaming! Of course, I dry off and get dressed and hit the ground running! As calm as I act with them and I don't put up with bad behavior, things are still just so crazy!! Help! What are your mornings like? Any tips?

juggling

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Hoozeluv
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM

At their age, routine is key. Same things in the same order each morning. Maybe get up before them and get your coffee, then wake them up one at a time and start their day before they have a chance to start crying. After a few weeks on the same schedule, they'll know to expect you will be there and they won't wake up so upset. Example for their new routine: Diaper, breakfast, playtime on the floor with toys while mommy gets her breakfast. I always took a shower during my kids' naptime. Hope this helps. Once I had my second, morning playdates went out the window replaced by sporadic afternoon playdates with the children of my closest friends. Not everyone is a morning person, and that's ok. :-) Plus, I do most of my cleaning right after I put the kids to bed, since they don't always go right to sleep. Then, if I need to go back in there, I don't get that feeling like they are interrupting my "me" time. I have my own time for a bit after they are asleep and the house is clean. I always feel better knowing I'll wake up to clean house the next morning. I'm lacking in the exercise department. Maybe you could leave me some advice on that one? ;-)

Saharra
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Do as much as you can the night before. Get your coffee ready so it's set to brew when you think you will be ready (have the timer set for 7am every morning!).
Set clothing out. Have the bags packed for the next day, so you can grab and go. And like the PP said, a schedule is key. If you keep it the same every morning you know where you've got to be when. Same with the kids. They will get it and so will you :) My kids get out of bed and know they have to dress before breakfast. (They are 4 and 6). So they understand as soon as they are dressed they get to eat. It's been that way since they were little, so they don't fuss about it (much) anymore. Good luck, momma! You can do this!
Due9
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Thank you for the tips! My weak point is definitely mornings. Like you, I just cannot get out of the door with 2 small children and make it to playdates. I have given up on that. Plus it's almost impossible to hold my screaming son while my toddler wants to play on the playground. I could put him in a sling but he's only happy in that for about 10 minutes. I just can't win. One thing I make sure to do is spend time alone with my toddler. She always sees me holding baby and I don't want her to think I'm ignoring her. I sit on the floor with her (which I actually really enjoy doing) and teach her things, play with her, etc. Every night I brush her hair and read her the same book. So if my day is just a hot mess, she knows that she gets her story and "mommy time" at night. The whole exercising thing is still in the works. Some days I can get on our treadmill while they nap. Some days I just want to rest while they nap and watch TV. I am trying to get into the habit of walking in the evening with them in their double stroller. As I type this I'm looking at my treadmill and feeling guilty that I don't feel like working out, haha. 

Quoting Hoozeluv:

At their age, routine is key. Same things in the same order each morning. Maybe get up before them and get your coffee, then wake them up one at a time and start their day before they have a chance to start crying. After a few weeks on the same schedule, they'll know to expect you will be there and they won't wake up so upset. Example for their new routine: Diaper, breakfast, playtime on the floor with toys while mommy gets her breakfast. I always took a shower during my kids' naptime. Hope this helps. Once I had my second, morning playdates went out the window replaced by sporadic afternoon playdates with the children of my closest friends. Not everyone is a morning person, and that's ok. :-) Plus, I do most of my cleaning right after I put the kids to bed, since they don't always go right to sleep. Then, if I need to go back in there, I don't get that feeling like they are interrupting my "me" time. I have my own time for a bit after they are asleep and the house is clean. I always feel better knowing I'll wake up to clean house the next morning. I'm lacking in the exercise department. Maybe you could leave me some advice on that one? ;-)

juggling

Hoozeluv
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

The most exercise I get right now is on the few days when I decide to walk to the school to pick up my daughter. (My kids are 4 and 7 now, and I also babysit my 1 1/2 year old nephew a few days a week.) I thought that once she was in school, I'd be out and about more and able to get more exercise, but then my nephew was born and they needed me to watch him while his mommy works, so I'm back in the "breakfast, nap, lunch, nap" cycle. My son had just outgrown his naps and I thought a world of possibilities was opening up for me. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. Your park dilemma is why I gave up my morning playdates. I just couldn't keep up with my daughter at the park on the equipment while I was holding/pushing my son around and talking to other moms who were just letting their kids run wild. It didn't help that by the time my son was big enough for us to start going back, our mom's group had fallen apart. I haven't really made many new friends since, and I have just been taking my kids out on my own. It gets super lonely. DH works alot, so we don't see him much. When my daughter started school, I started trying to take my son to storytime at the library since there was no mom's group anymore. We go on and off when I can get showered and moving in time. He seems to like it ok there, he's a little bashful with the group, but flirts with the little girls. I took him AND my nephew this week just to see how I'd do with both of them, and my nephew really loved it! May be our new thing to get me out of the house. :-)

Due9
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I can sooo relate to how you feel and what your going through. I have given up parks after I was set on taking my daughter everyday. I felt guilty, and still do sometimes, about not being able to just take her but I just can't do it. It is too hard to run after her and carry my son who cries ALOT. It is just too unsafe because if I let her run around on her own she will fall off the steps or slide. I see other mom's that are so chill about just letting their kids run loose, but I can't do that. She is 2 years old and she isn't old enough to be alone. I do take them out in the double stroller and walk down the street and around the block and back. Just yesterday I cleaned up my back yard really nicely so she could at least go out there and I don't have to worry about her running in the street. Like you, I have given up many things because I can't physically get out of the house on time or it's just too difficult to do. I know things will get easier when they are a few years older as far as taking them to the park or having them in preschool so I can start on my hobbies. I also have taken them to the library and it was fun. I just have to make more of an effort to go every week. Glad to know I'm not the only one with these dilemmas! 

Quoting Hoozeluv:

The most exercise I get right now is on the few days when I decide to walk to the school to pick up my daughter. (My kids are 4 and 7 now, and I also babysit my 1 1/2 year old nephew a few days a week.) I thought that once she was in school, I'd be out and about more and able to get more exercise, but then my nephew was born and they needed me to watch him while his mommy works, so I'm back in the "breakfast, nap, lunch, nap" cycle. My son had just outgrown his naps and I thought a world of possibilities was opening up for me. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. Your park dilemma is why I gave up my morning playdates. I just couldn't keep up with my daughter at the park on the equipment while I was holding/pushing my son around and talking to other moms who were just letting their kids run wild. It didn't help that by the time my son was big enough for us to start going back, our mom's group had fallen apart. I haven't really made many new friends since, and I have just been taking my kids out on my own. It gets super lonely. DH works alot, so we don't see him much. When my daughter started school, I started trying to take my son to storytime at the library since there was no mom's group anymore. We go on and off when I can get showered and moving in time. He seems to like it ok there, he's a little bashful with the group, but flirts with the little girls. I took him AND my nephew this week just to see how I'd do with both of them, and my nephew really loved it! May be our new thing to get me out of the house. :-)

juggling

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I have a lot of options for you but cant type it im on my nook. I will message u tomorrow hugs
trainlady
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

First off set up your morning coffee and breakfast the night before so that all you have to do is turn it on. Do only 15 minutes of exercise twice a day. Let the kids scream for a little bit then they will learn that their screaming is not going to make you jump and run to serve them. I raised a huge houseful and it took one hour to shower, dress the kids, feed everyone breakfast and clean up, do a little exercise and get everyone ready for playtime outside. You don't have to dress the kids to eat breakfast. A ten minute shower will suffice if you want a longer one do it before you go to bed. throw a load of laundry in to wash while you feed the kids. Then in the dryer when you leave the house for playtime. When the kids are down for a nap take one yourself if you feel the need or do your exercises at that time, whichever suits you. If you really think about multitasking it is easy. You may have to change your priorities to make it fit but it can be done. What do you think us working moms do when we have seven kids at home?

Due9
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Well-I was a working, single mother for several years. I worked 12 hour night shifts. That doesn't mean I got any better at time management and because I don't have to work now doesn't mean things are any easier. Yes-I am lucky I can stay at home, but some days getting away to work sounds nice. 

Quoting trainlady:

First off set up your morning coffee and breakfast the night before so that all you have to do is turn it on. Do only 15 minutes of exercise twice a day. Let the kids scream for a little bit then they will learn that their screaming is not going to make you jump and run to serve them. I raised a huge houseful and it took one hour to shower, dress the kids, feed everyone breakfast and clean up, do a little exercise and get everyone ready for playtime outside. You don't have to dress the kids to eat breakfast. A ten minute shower will suffice if you want a longer one do it before you go to bed. throw a load of laundry in to wash while you feed the kids. Then in the dryer when you leave the house for playtime. When the kids are down for a nap take one yourself if you feel the need or do your exercises at that time, whichever suits you. If you really think about multitasking it is easy. You may have to change your priorities to make it fit but it can be done. What do you think us working moms do when we have seven kids at home?

juggling

Hoozeluv
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM

It took me awhile to not feel so guilty about not taking my kids to the park or storytime on any given schedule. I felt like I wasn't doing what I should be to get them socialized since I didn't put either in pre-school. After my daughter started kindergarten and has been at the top of her class since, I have let go of alot of the guilt, because she has turned out better than her classmates who did go to pre-school (academic and social situation wise). I wish DH would clean up our back yard! We play out there in the snow during the winter, but the mosquitoes are so bad in the summer, we can't play out there. We get the day feeding Asian Tiger Mosquitoes. There's a huge brush pile out there that needs hauled off too! I've got my "honey do" list. ;-)

Quoting Due9:

I can sooo relate to how you feel and what your going through. I have given up parks after I was set on taking my daughter everyday. I felt guilty, and still do sometimes, about not being able to just take her but I just can't do it. It is too hard to run after her and carry my son who cries ALOT. It is just too unsafe because if I let her run around on her own she will fall off the steps or slide. I see other mom's that are so chill about just letting their kids run loose, but I can't do that. She is 2 years old and she isn't old enough to be alone. I do take them out in the double stroller and walk down the street and around the block and back. Just yesterday I cleaned up my back yard really nicely so she could at least go out there and I don't have to worry about her running in the street. Like you, I have given up many things because I can't physically get out of the house on time or it's just too difficult to do. I know things will get easier when they are a few years older as far as taking them to the park or having them in preschool so I can start on my hobbies. I also have taken them to the library and it was fun. I just have to make more of an effort to go every week. Glad to know I'm not the only one with these dilemmas! 

Quoting Hoozeluv:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)