Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think engagement rings are barbaric?

Posted by   + Show Post

Every Girl Should Have an Engagement Ring

by Jenny Erikson

At least one woman is over the whole engagement ring business. Writer Shannon Rupp argues that the giving of engagement rings is an “unsavory custom, given that it began in an era when women were chattel,” and “it’s hardly romantic.”

I think someone peed in her Cheerio’s. Engagement rings are so much more than a “lease-a-womb” scheme, as Rupp cleverly and wrongly describes the transaction that occurs when a man presents his lady with a ring in exchange for her acceptance of his marriage proposal.

When I was little, my dad used to tell a story about a young Indian brave that wanted very much to marry a girl in his tribe. He went to the girl’s father to ask for her hand, but the dad told him that if he wanted to marry his daughter, the young man would have to bring him 100 horses.

It took the man many moons to gather all the horses, build pens for them, feed them, and care for them, but he finally did it, and made the exchange for his bride (who was very happy about all of this by the way). When he asked his father-in-law what he planned to do with 100 horses, he responded, “Keep them if you want. Or let them go. I don’t really care.”

“Why would you ask me to bring you 100 horses for you daughter just to let them go?” The young man asked.

“It was never about the horses -- it was about your determination and dedication to my daughter, and your willingness to work hard for her that I cared about.”

And that’s why engagement rings matter.

(That sound you just heard was feminists’ heads exploding.)

Seriously though. People can say all they want that engagement rings are “barbaric” and like “a down payment on a virgin vagina,” but I’m probably never going to agree.  

To me, an engagement ring is a symbol of a man’s willingness to work hard and sacrifice for the woman he wants to marry, and to put his bride-to-be’s desires ahead of his own. He could’ve bought some pretty nice man-toys (new media center maybe?), but instead he bought a ring.

A pretty, sparkly, absolutely nonessential and totally necessary ring.

Every girl that wants a ring should have one. She’s worth it.

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (11-12):
aimesnyc
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM

My hubby and I both had engagement rings.  Once he proposed, he also wanted a ring to show that he was taken, so I got him a cheap silver band to wear until the wedding.  :)

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Quoting Cafe Steph:

If it is only the man giving the women one, not an exchange, and if you're insisting they have significant financial value, then YES.

If it is a ring you are each wearing, as a social signal "I'm not going to have sex with you" to others, then no, that's fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)