Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HPV VACCINATION ????

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 170 Replies
Was offered to my 13'year old daughter at her well chk up appt today! I declined, but what are some of you mothers take on this. I'm in the medical field so I am aware of everything that is associated with the virus, however agreeing to let my dd recieve the vac against it sends mixed messages to them as far as how I raise my girls. Case in point: I teach my children to abstain from sexual activities until marriages. So exposing her to a prevenative of a viral infection that is caused by sex contradicts what I teach them. Would you mothers allow your children to be vaccinated? What are your thoughts?

For those who are not aware of HPV or what it is: Human papillomavirus is a viral infection that lives in your cells, and can turn into cervical cancer if not treated. Atleast 50% of Americans will come in to contact with it at one point in life. (According to statistics). It's a sexually transmitted infection and symptons can be worse as Warts on pelvic area, anus, mouth etc.

Please no bashing!! Just honest opinions from mothers of teenage girls.
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter has been vaccinated.  If I can offer her protection, why wouldn't I?

No side effects, nothing at all went wrong about it.

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the ide of the vaccine because i got HPV from my now ex-husband. He was the ONLY person I have ever slept with. It didn't matter that I abstained or how careful I was.  I am still on the fence about giving it to my daughter but I like the idea of her being protected.

QueenWisdom
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM
That's the thing I'm finding difficult to understand. Protection from what? Yes, literally I understand, but how do I explain to a 13 yr old that I'm having her vaccinated for a virus that is sexually transmitted when I teach her not to have sex???

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

My daughter has been vaccinated.  If I can offer her protection, why wouldn't I?

No side effects, nothing at all went wrong about it.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM
4 moms liked this

I wouldn't let my kids touch that with a 10 ft. pole. I don't vaccinate, but even if I did, NEVER would I agree to that. It's got nothing but side effects.

QueenWisdom
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Oh wow sorry to hear that!! I understand your concern fully.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I love the ide of the vaccine because i got HPV from my now ex-husband. He was the ONLY person I have ever slept with. It didn't matter that I abstained or how careful I was.  I am still on the fence about giving it to my daughter but I like the idea of her being protected.

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I can totally understand what you are trying to teach your daughter but after my experience I do want my daughter to be protected. I'm just not sure i trust the vaccine fully. It still makes me mad though when I think about it.  

Quoting QueenWisdom:

Quoting KyliesMom5:

gnr
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Same exact thing happened to me, I got it from my ex husband. I found out during my 2nd pregnancy when they found abnormal cells on my cervix. Granted I am fine but it was scary going to a treatment center for cancer. I wish I had gotten the vaccine, however,  I understand where you are coming from.

Quoting QueenWisdom:

Quoting KyliesMom5:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/gnr
QueenWisdom
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I'm sure it does make you mad. It would definitely still upset me. Thanks so much for the advice.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I can totally understand what you are trying to teach your daughter but after my experience I do want my daughter to be protected. I'm just not sure i trust the vaccine fully. It still makes me mad though when I think about it.  

Quoting QueenWisdom:

Quoting KyliesMom5:

KatLee42513
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a tough situation. My husband & I are very religious & were both virgins until marriage. I definitky teach my child to obstsin until marriage but how do we protect them from men down the line? Id like her to marry a virgin but that may not happen.
IamMex11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I refused it for my 11 year old.  

one example why:

Linda May, who lives in suburban Indiana, wonders if changes her daughter Laura has experienced since getting her first Gardasil shot in February 2010 are from the vaccine.

May says Laura, a former athlete and star pupil, is fatigued and always achy. Her menstrual cycle is irregular.

Laura doesn't complain, Linda says, but the family can see she is not herself. The Mays have spent countless hours talking to doctors. No diagnosis has been made, but a few have theorized that the vaccine triggered an autoimmune response, she says.

The family plans to file a claim with the Department of Health and Human Services' National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, which has recorded 88 injury and 8 death claims related to the HPV vaccines and two legal settlements.

There are plenty of others!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN