Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Apraxia

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello, I am a grandmother to a beautiful little girl name Ariana.  We were told yesterday that she has Apraxia.  I have been reading about this and searching the web.  My brain is on overload, and my eyes are swollen from crying.  I keep asking myself why?  I want to know everything there is about Apraxia,

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to CafeMom,
Big hugs to you.  Check out this group & maybe they can help.
Hopefully others will have some suggestions for you as well ;)

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I know you didnt say she is autistic, but you are more than welcome to joint he autistic support groups! most children with autism have speech disabilities and the ladies in those groups are VERY helpful. 

Heisenberg
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

My son is apraxic. He's 3 years old and we've had the diagnosis for about a year now. Feel free to ask any questions you have and I can answer with my own experience. Stop googling though. :) I'm not going to lie and say it isn't difficult, but my son makes me so proud every day with how hard he works. 

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Hi!

I'm not sure what Apraxia even is.  

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

wish I could help, but I am not familiar with this condition.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Hi I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have 3 kids with autism and they have speech difficulties too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Hi! Welcome to CafeMom! I am not familiar with this, can you tell us a little more about your granddaughter?

I agree too, I wouldn't Google. Sometimes it can un-necessarily scare you!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

nonna2210
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Thank you all so much for the replys.  My granddaughter Ariana speaks about 4-5 words only, she will be four in Feb.  I just don't understand why her Dr didn't see that there was a problem.  Last year I was on Pinterest and came across this article on Apraxia, and I believed that this is what my granddaughter has.  Her parents are very young, and stubborn, I told them about this, but they said she was seeing a speech therapist for a year and she didn't see it.  For the past few weeks she has been in a preschool class and they called in another speech therapist, who told us on Friday.  We are waiting for an appointment with a neurologist to schedule a MRI of her brain, to see if there are any problems with the part of the brain that is causing this issue.  I know the road before us is very long.I myself never heard of this either.  But after ready about it, I feel that there should be more awareness to this disease.  I will do what I can to do fundraising, and get the word out there.

Heisenberg
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Apraxia isn't a disease. It's a motor planning dysfunction. My son nearly starved from it because he was unable to move his mouth to eat. There is no cure, because only therapy can help. This isn't something that can be fixed with a drug or vaccine. Apraxia can be very difficult to diagnose and usually requires a pathologist who specializes in it to do so. This may explain why she wasn't diagnosed sooner. There are specialized apps you can download on Ipads for apraxia that are very helpful (if anyone has an Ipad) if not I'm sure her pathologist will have one along with many specialized learning tasks and exercises that will help her overcome this developmental disability.

Quoting nonna2210:

Thank you all so much for the replys.  My granddaughter Ariana speaks about 4-5 words only, she will be four in Feb.  I just don't understand why her Dr didn't see that there was a problem.  Last year I was on Pinterest and came across this article on Apraxia, and I believed that this is what my granddaughter has.  Her parents are very young, and stubborn, I told them about this, but they said she was seeing a speech therapist for a year and she didn't see it.  For the past few weeks she has been in a preschool class and they called in another speech therapist, who told us on Friday.  We are waiting for an appointment with a neurologist to schedule a MRI of her brain, to see if there are any problems with the part of the brain that is causing this issue.  I know the road before us is very long.I myself never heard of this either.  But after ready about it, I feel that there should be more awareness to this disease.  I will do what I can to do fundraising, and get the word out there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN