Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dealing with no, please help!!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  • 10 Replies

My dear son will be two in January, and he is such an emotional little guy. I get told at least 10 times a day. I can just say his name and he says no. My daughter who is 6 wad nothing like this. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_l
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM
It's a phase. He'll get over it.

We have video of our DS in that stage. It was too funny. "Do you want a cookie? NO! (as he reaches out and grabs it). Do you love momma? No! (as he gives me a kiss). Do you want your blankie? NO! (as he takes it)." You get the point. It was too cute!
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM
It's a phase. It's annoying as can be too! My son is going through it.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM

when my older son was about 3 he would tell me no about everything I asked even if he wanted it..."I'd ask do you want a cupcake ?" " NO!" and then get mad at me when he didn't get one...talk about frustrating... but the phase does pass eventually.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Welcome to the group,
Just a stage .. will pass in time.

Hugs to you :)

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM

For my DD when she started the no phase, if i said 'put your plate in the sink' and she said no, i would take her hands, and guide them like a puppet, and we would pick up her plate, and put it in the sink. 

the idea is, even though she defied my instructions, she still had to do it. 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
too funny. they do love the word no.

Quoting mama_l:

It's a phase. He'll get over it.

We have video of our DS in that stage. It was too funny. "Do you want a cookie? NO! (as he reaches out and grabs it). Do you love momma? No! (as he gives me a kiss). Do you want your blankie? NO! (as he takes it)." You get the point. It was too cute!

Starrnak
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Thank everyone, guess ill just ride it out!

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Strike the word no from your vocabulary as much as possible. Give a more drawn out answer - instead of ”no juice” say ”you may not have juice right now”, the like. That will encourage him to use his words more. As for the defiance, DS was always given a choice. If he didn't want to go inside, his choice was to either walk into the house himself or be carried. The end result was the same either way, but it made him far more cooperative to feel like he had some say in the matter.
Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:21 PM
This. Remember that you are the one in charge.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Strike the word no from your vocabulary as much as possible. Give a more drawn out answer - instead of ”no juice” say ”you may not have juice right now”, the like. That will encourage him to use his words more. As for the defiance, DS was always given a choice. If he didn't want to go inside, his choice was to either walk into the house himself or be carried. The end result was the same either way, but it made him far more cooperative to feel like he had some say in the matter.

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

No two children are alike. Perhaps he doesn't really understand what "no" means. You might try using it in reverse on him. Everytime he wants something say "no" and then ask him if he wants to say no to you again. Its going to take time so have patience. Keep telling him that no is not the right word. And let him understand that he is hurting your feelings by saying no. I know when my kids were little and they did something that they shouldn't I would pretend that they hurt my feelings and made me cry. They would straighten up and tell me they were sorry and wouldn't do whatever it was again. Won't hurt to try it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)