Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When you see a spider do you.......gently let it outside OR smash it gone for good?

Posted by   + Show Post

I just found a spider in my dryer and I couldn't do much, but let it go.......it got me thinking about what others might do.

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM

If it's up in a corner, I leave it, or if it's just a little thing, I leave it no matter where it is. They do catch a lot of insects. I would rather see the spiders than the insects.

Now, the big fat one that was in my kitchen sink this morning? He went for a long swim.

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:16 PM

It depends on the spider.  If it is a hobo, then I will kill it, not much use in trying to capture it and take it outside as it will just find its way back in, and I wouldn't risk getting bit anyway.  As long as its a non aggressive spider that I don't have to worry about biting my kids or me, then I usually just leave them be.  I don't care if they are in my house as long as they aren't going to hurt us. 

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Yep, this exactly.  Spiders do a good job at keeping other insects away, so as long as they do their job, they can live safely inside... well at least I won't kill them (again if its a hobo, it dies)... but I cannot provide protection from the cats. 

Quoting Kathy489:

If it's up in a corner, I leave it, or if it's just a little thing, I leave it no matter where it is. They do catch a lot of insects. I would rather see the spiders than the insects.

Now, the big fat one that was in my kitchen sink this morning? He went for a long swim.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM

i smash them about 5 times (just to make sure theyre dead) i dont care where they are, if i see one, i MUST kill it!

Lovingtrust
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Thanks for al the interesting responses.  It's making me rethink my strategy for sure.  You've given me some great ideas!  LOL!  :)

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I generally let them go outside unless they are actually on me

ETA: my 6 year old just caught one in a cup that he found in his big sister's room ... and calmly carried it outside. he made himself very popular with his sister and her friend.hehehe

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Squish!!!

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I freak out. Get someone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Outside, whatever. In the house it gets a free ticket to the carnival of death - my vacuum cleaner.
miaglamer
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I usually just leave it alone. Although DH killed a black widow right inside the threshold of our back door a few days ago. Those must die. All other can live.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)