Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

College Degree---??

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 50 Replies
I know so many people that have degrees and don't use them.. Or say its too hard to find a job in their field. I used to bartend and waitress and I remember quite a few of the girls at least had their bachelors... I am starting back to school in the spring to peruse my BSW and eventually my MSW. I am confident ill use mine because social work is something im very passionate about and really want to do. I'm just wondering how many of you actually use your degrees and If you don't, why not?
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM
I have a degree as an administrative assistant and i have a hard tine finding a job. They give the jobs to people they can train THEIR way and can pay less for then to someone who has the college degree (and i am finding that employers don't really want to hire military spouses because they don't want to be looking for a new person in a few years. I am going back for an associates in Paralegal studies.. Hopefully i can actually get something
leksismommy
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

My best friend has a Bachelors Degree in Education and English literature. She can't find a job as a teacher or even as a sub, she works at the museum for $8.50 an hour and no benefits.

Seven.yrs.apart
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM
It do not get it.. People spend so much time and money to get degrees then can't use them. The school I Am going to has a placement program so I'm truly hoping I won't be wasting my time/money on this. I can't imagine having a degree and working for min wage. I don't have a degree and I don't even work for min wage now.
BeataIII
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM
It is frustrating because everyone says you need a degree to get a good job but then you can't even find a good job with a degree.

Quoting Seven.yrs.apart:

It do not get it.. People spend so much time and money to get degrees then can't use them. The school I Am going to has a placement program so I'm truly hoping I won't be wasting my time/money on this. I can't imagine having a degree and working for min wage. I don't have a degree and I don't even work for min wage now.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Have had a teaching degree & definitely used it ;)

lilsirsmomma
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I have a degree in nursing and I use it.
MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I have a B.S in environmental management.  I used it then I got laid off and didn't use it for a couple years.  I am slowly getting back to putting it to use now.

Heathersb33
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I have my master's in social work and with all the budget cuts in social services I haven't been ableto find a job and it is frustrating. I am thinking of going into the medical field.
KJohnson4762
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I have a B.S. in Business and do not use it. After college I found a job in transcription and now I work from home, part time, making $28k.
kellysp6637
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I have an Associates in Business Administration and Computers and a Bachelors in Sociology.  My degree really has nothing to do with my employment, however I needed to have a degree to further my career.....Plus, having the degree and my experience keeps me competitive in the work force.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)