Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

sister inlaw

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 14 Replies
OK so I live with my husband and three kids and my sister in law just moved in about two 1/2 months ago and is making me go nuts with her three kids I don't know what to do any more am not happy in my own house any more they eat in the rooms and garbage and dishes everywhere and I just can't any more what do I do :(
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell her to clean up after herself and help out or get out. Sometimes that is the only thing you can do with people that begin to take you for granted. Does she pay for her and her kids to be there or is this a nice guy situtaion where you are waiting for her to get on her feet? Either way she needs to be reminded that it isn't her house and you don't like what is going on. It is hard sometimes but you have to tell her what the expectations are in your house and she and her children will comply or leave if they have a problem with it. 

RADmomma
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM
3 moms liked this
Sit her down. Tell her that while you understand the living arrangements are not ideal but everyone needs to work together to maintain a clean healthy home.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask her to leave?

KMAsMommy9182
by Toujours Raison on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

That is a lot of people under one roof.  Did you ever set up any rules/boundaries with her?

belinda193
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM
From when she moved in with me and my family I and her brother told her she as to be clean and pick up after her kids but she doesn't all of my cups are always in her room I clean my kitchen and when I get up in the morning it's a mess I trying to be nice but am about to lose it my husband her brother is just too nice and is always telling me just be nice live them they will move out soon
belinda193
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Yes we did
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Shake a few heads and get some rules set down. You have a large family all in together and they are all going to have to change their regular habits and come into some new rules in order to save the house and your sanity. Have a sit down with your husband and his sister and mark out rules for everybody doing their share of the house work and picking up after themselves. And stick to it, don't let it slide back down the hill.

fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM

You & your husband have to sit down with her & set some ground rules & a time frame when she & her tribe has to move out. Of course that is a discussion you & your husband have to have first so you're on the same page with it! What is a good time frame for you?

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group,
Sounds like it's time to have a sit down conversation with all the adults.
Good luck :)

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Tell your SIL.  She needs to be reminded that this behavior is not acceptable in your house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)