Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old is too old for kids of the opposite sex to share a bedroom?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 53 Replies

My cousin and her husband are fighting horribly right now because he says it's time their 7yo son move out of the bedroom he shares with their 5yo daughter. They're in a 2BR apartment right now and don't have the money to move so she's really adamant about them staying put and maybe hanging up a privacy divider or something if it's about that. The husband is sure they can swing the move and said it's illegal to keep them in the same room now.

How old is too old for a boy and a girl to share a bedroom?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommylovesdada
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM
When one child no longer feels comfortable sharing.
waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I do not know of a single state that says it is illegal for a brother and sister to share a room.  My 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son share and will for a while. My husband and I just moved our 7 year old son and 7 year old niece into the same room today.

leksismommy
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

When my brother and I stopped sharing a bedroom, I was 17 he was 11

momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

When one starts to feel uncomfortable or wanting more privacy.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Neither child has expressed any desire to change their arrangement. They've always changed clothes in the bathroom alone so privacy isn't an issue, either, really. I think it's just the husband who has issues with it.

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

When one child no longer feels comfortable sharing.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I don't, either. My boy and girl cousin who are a year apart in age shared until they were 9/10.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

I do not know of a single state that says it is illegal for a brother and sister to share a room.  My 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son share and will for a while. My husband and I just moved our 7 year old son and 7 year old niece into the same room today.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

That's a bigger age difference, but did you get your own rooms because you moved to a bigger place or needed more privacy at 17 than you had in previous years?

Quoting leksismommy:

awesomemommy2
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Why wouldn't the boys share a room and the girls share.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM

They both seem upset at the very idea of not sharing anymore. She wants to give them a couple more years since they seem okay with things as they are now and to let her and her husband save more money for the move.

Quoting momto3infl:

When one starts to feel uncomfortable or wanting more privacy.

leksismommy
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM

When we moved, I got my own room. I never had an issue with sharing a room with my brother, I guess also having my brother in my room, meant less misbehaving on my part.

Quoting bamababe1975:

That's a bigger age difference, but did you get your own rooms because you moved to a bigger place or needed more privacy at 17 than you had in previous years?

Quoting leksismommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN