Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old is too old for kids of the opposite sex to share a bedroom?

Posted by   + Show Post

My cousin and her husband are fighting horribly right now because he says it's time their 7yo son move out of the bedroom he shares with their 5yo daughter. They're in a 2BR apartment right now and don't have the money to move so she's really adamant about them staying put and maybe hanging up a privacy divider or something if it's about that. The husband is sure they can swing the move and said it's illegal to keep them in the same room now.

How old is too old for a boy and a girl to share a bedroom?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

There is no laws in any state, stating the siblings of opposite sex can or can't share a room. If CPS or a Foster Care is going on, then yes there are laws.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

I do not know of a single state that says it is illegal for a brother and sister to share a room.  My 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son share and will for a while. My husband and I just moved our 7 year old son and 7 year old niece into the same room today.

pregnantmama105
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

after I am done bf dd (once she is born in jan) ds and dd will share a room unless we are in a three bdrm by then.

catrig
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM
My kids share and they are 7 and 2. The girl is 7.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

There is no laws in any state, stating the siblings of opposite sex can or can't share a room. If CPS or a Foster Care is going on, then yes there are laws.

Once one child voices concern of privacy then arrangements should be made.

When we were simi homeless sharing 1 bedroom with the kids we built a small wall between the kids so they could have their own space.

Quoting bamababe1975:

My cousin and her husband are fighting horribly right now because he says it's time their 7yo son move out of the bedroom he shares with their 5yo daughter. They're in a 2BR apartment right now and don't have the money to move so she's really adamant about them staying put and maybe hanging up a privacy divider or something if it's about that. The husband is sure they can swing the move and said it's illegal to keep them in the same room now.

How old is too old for a boy and a girl to share a bedroom?

waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Yeah, right now we have 8 kids (usually 9) living in our house and we only have a 5 bedroom house. Someone has to share. My 8 year old has the smallest bedroom in the house so she has to have her own room, the 2 babies are in our room, and the other 5(sometimes 6) need to split up into 3 other bedrooms.

Quoting bamababe1975:

I don't, either. My boy and girl cousin who are a year apart in age shared until they were 9/10.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

I do not know of a single state that says it is illegal for a brother and sister to share a room.  My 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son share and will for a while. My husband and I just moved our 7 year old son and 7 year old niece into the same room today.

berespectful
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

i agree with the husband that it's time to separate them if possible.

waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

My 8 year old daughter and 7 year old niece do not get along at all it would be a constant fight. My 7 year old niece has a lot of mental issues and she wants to share with her 7 year old cousin, if it means us getting a good night sleep I will let them share. My 8 year old hated sharing with the 3 year old, she had so much stuff getting lost or broken because the 3yo can't seem to get the concept she isn't supposed to touch sisters stuff.  My 11 year old boy shares a room with his 9 year old cousin when he is with us. This is what works for us.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Why wouldn't the boys share a room and the girls share.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

We have CPS involved due to my niece and 2 nephews living with us. The social worker knows that we put the two 7 year olds together, they have never stated to us that we cannot do that.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Then I stand corrected. What I hate is there are so many on this site that think there is a law about siblings of opposite sex sharing. 

With how this country is going we are going to see more and more families doubling up in homes. 

Honestly if we could find a family that we got along with we'd be doubling up now. 

Quoting waytomanykids10:

We have CPS involved due to my niece and 2 nephews living with us. The social worker knows that we put the two 7 year olds together, they have never stated to us that we cannot do that.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Quoting waytomanykids10:

onethentwins
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

When one child no longer feels comfortable sharing.

This. There's no reason to separate them if they are happy to be in the same room. Could the husband be using this as an excuse because he really wants to move from an apartment into a house?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN