Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old is too old for kids of the opposite sex to share a bedroom?

Posted by   + Show Post

My cousin and her husband are fighting horribly right now because he says it's time their 7yo son move out of the bedroom he shares with their 5yo daughter. They're in a 2BR apartment right now and don't have the money to move so she's really adamant about them staying put and maybe hanging up a privacy divider or something if it's about that. The husband is sure they can swing the move and said it's illegal to keep them in the same room now.

How old is too old for a boy and a girl to share a bedroom?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Maybe for us it isn't an issue because the kids are related. Even though they were placed with us through CPS, they are not foster kids. I think if they were foster kids then maybe it would make a difference? I really don't know how that works.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Then I stand corrected. What I hate is there are so many on this site that think there is a law about siblings of opposite sex sharing. 

With how this country is going we are going to see more and more families doubling up in homes. 

Honestly if we could find a family that we got along with we'd be doubling up now. 

Quoting waytomanykids10:

We have CPS involved due to my niece and 2 nephews living with us. The social worker knows that we put the two 7 year olds together, they have never stated to us that we cannot do that.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

There is no laws in any state, stating the siblings of opposite sex can or can't share a room. If CPS or a Foster Care is going on, then yes there are laws.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

I do not know of a single state that says it is illegal for a brother and sister to share a room.  My 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son share and will for a while. My husband and I just moved our 7 year old son and 7 year old niece into the same room today.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I haven't done much research on the Foster Care/CPS side but all I have read people say it is a big deal when Foster Care/CPS are involed. I can't find true facts though.

People on this site seem to think every child should have their own rooms when that isn't the case. You get a house that fits your budget not your kids.

Shit my DD13 and DS15 year old know that if shit hits the fan they'll be sharing again for a short time and they know I know how to divide a 10by10 so both have the space they need.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Maybe for us it isn't an issue because the kids are related. Even though they were placed with us through CPS, they are not foster kids. I think if they were foster kids then maybe it would make a difference? I really don't know how that works.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Then I stand corrected. What I hate is there are so many on this site that think there is a law about siblings of opposite sex sharing. 

With how this country is going we are going to see more and more families doubling up in homes. 

Honestly if we could find a family that we got along with we'd be doubling up now. 

Quoting waytomanykids10:

We have CPS involved due to my niece and 2 nephews living with us. The social worker knows that we put the two 7 year olds together, they have never stated to us that we cannot do that.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

There is no laws in any state, stating the siblings of opposite sex can or can't share a room. If CPS or a Foster Care is going on, then yes there are laws.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

I do not know of a single state that says it is illegal for a brother and sister to share a room.  My 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son share and will for a while. My husband and I just moved our 7 year old son and 7 year old niece into the same room today.

waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Yeah, we had plenty of room until we had 3 extra kids handed to us. We all have made quite a few sacrifices the last month and a half.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

I haven't done much research on the Foster Care/CPS side but all I have read people say it is a big deal when Foster Care/CPS are involed. I can't find true facts though.

People on this site seem to think every child should have their own rooms when that isn't the case. You get a house that fits your budget not your kids.

Shit my DD13 and DS15 year old know that if shit hits the fan they'll be sharing again for a short time and they know I know how to divide a 10by10 so both have the space they need.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Quoting waytomanykids10:

lilsirsmomma
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM
My 12& 15 yr old share a room at their dads. Have their own at my house
Pjsncoffeetime
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

When one child no longer feels comfortable sharing.

TheMommaJessie
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM

i shared a room with both my brothers off and on until i was about 10 years old.

Mater-three
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Quoting Pjsncoffeetime:

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

When one child no longer feels comfortable sharing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MidwestMama55
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Honestly depends on the family. That being said, in this case i'd side with the husband. I personally wouldn't have a boy/girl rooming situation past about age 4. That's just me though.

elasmimi
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I don't think it's illegal anywhere that I know of. When I was growing up, my friend shared a room with her older brother til they were in their teens, and grew up to be normal well adjusted people. Not that I recommend it, but if you can't afford 3 bedrooms, what else can you do?

gmoen1977
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

if you foster you would learn yes there are ages that it is no longer ok for a boy and a girl to share a room.  besides the devider what about doing a loft bed so the kids each have their own space that is private.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)