Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old is too old for kids of the opposite sex to share a bedroom?

Posted by   + Show Post

My cousin and her husband are fighting horribly right now because he says it's time their 7yo son move out of the bedroom he shares with their 5yo daughter. They're in a 2BR apartment right now and don't have the money to move so she's really adamant about them staying put and maybe hanging up a privacy divider or something if it's about that. The husband is sure they can swing the move and said it's illegal to keep them in the same room now.

How old is too old for a boy and a girl to share a bedroom?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
AllysMommy2013
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Alaska has laws for it I believe its around five

bakerytreatz16
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I have no idea. I shared a room with both my brothers until I was 12. Anthony was going on 11 and Noah was 5
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I understand all three of our kids shared a room until almost 5yrs ago when we were able to afford a move to a bigger place they are now 15 (g) 12(b) and 9(g)-so they shared until 10, 7, and 4.

Quoting bamababe1975:

They both seem upset at the very idea of not sharing anymore. She wants to give them a couple more years since they seem okay with things as they are now and to let her and her husband save more money for the move.

Quoting momto3infl:

When one starts to feel uncomfortable or wanting more privacy.

BellaMama7
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

We got fortunate enough where we had a bedroom just for my dd then once my ds was born they shared a room for less then a year, We built a bigger bedroom for my dd at that point. They did very well together, they always enjoy being together. Now that they are a bit older they like their own space..Still youngins tho.

coala
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

When of the kids is feeling shy or uncomfortable doing so.  I have a friend that had 2 girls and a boy sharing a room for 2 years...the oldest started puberty at 9 and shared until she was 11.  The youngest a boy, was in the middle of Kindergarten when they finally got their own rooms.  They did what they needed to do to make it work for their family.

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
HUD rules are 4
andersongirl562
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM

My son is 11 and my DD is 9 and they choose to share a room. They are to old when they decide they are

wixychixy
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I'm not sure about the opposite sex.  It may depend on where you are.  I'm in AR and when I dealt with DHS (in Johnson County) one of the stipulations in the paperwork after the first court date was that I had to have a separate bedroom for each of my sons (which I did before that whole mess).  In Franklin and Logan Counties where I have lived since then DHS told me that they should have been able to share a room since they were the same sex.

Mommylovesdada
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Exactly! And I believe kids become closer by sharing.

Quoting andersongirl562:

My son is 11 and my DD is 9 and they choose to share a room. They are to old when they decide they are

PrincessAsmommy
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM

We're facing this challenge too. Only we are arguing because I don't see a problem making the family/play room into a bedroom (it would be our room) and he does!  Our kids are 5 and 7 and have only complained about sharing because they don't have a place to be alone with their toys and friends. Any time they want privacy changing they either go into the bathroom or use our room. It may be a while before we can have a home with 3 actual bedrooms so should the time come we will either create a room or find a way to divide theirs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN