Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old is too old for kids of the opposite sex to share a bedroom?

Posted by   + Show Post

My cousin and her husband are fighting horribly right now because he says it's time their 7yo son move out of the bedroom he shares with their 5yo daughter. They're in a 2BR apartment right now and don't have the money to move so she's really adamant about them staying put and maybe hanging up a privacy divider or something if it's about that. The husband is sure they can swing the move and said it's illegal to keep them in the same room now.

How old is too old for a boy and a girl to share a bedroom?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Replies (41-50):
RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

when you are asking yourself those questions then its time.

BraydensMama163
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Legally when the youngest is 5.
Bellarose0212
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Sounds like he has another reason for wanting to move.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

There is NO LAW in ANY US state that says BIOLOGICAL siblings of the opposite sex cannot share a room.

My kids share right now. DD is 7 and DS is 3. They will share for a while longer. I'll look into converting our loft into a room eventually. For now, there are no issues. My kids like sharing.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

when the kids don't want to share any more and you can afford a place they don't have too.

shaharv
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM
We are in a two bedroom and my kids have to share a room. They are 9 and 7. I don't think it's a problem until theyare uncomfortable. My kids are closer to each because of it. They fight(like all brothers and sisters do) but they've had to learn to work things out because they have to sleep in the same room.
Mazou80
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:31 AM
My aunt was a sahm and they had a 2bedroom house. My cousins shared one bedroom till boy was 19 and girl 18 when she moved to another town for studies. If there is no other solution there is the word compromise.
Tes0517
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • My 5month old twins will share a bedroom for the rest of their lives if it means that I won't have to worry about "other things" when their older! Lol. But really, I would think that it would be up to how the kids are acting about it. If my two do nothing but fight and destroy their room, that is when I will move them into their Owen rooms. It also depends on your home and how much room you have
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM
In my state ots only illegal if they are no longer comfortable sharing or they arent blood siblings.
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Having raised four of my own two boys and two girls they shared a bedroom up until their teens when the girls started having periods and the boys were developing sex dreams and waking up with hardons. Forcing mature sex ideas into these children's heads at this age is just plain wrong. And it is not illegal to have them sharing rooms. Children can share rooms for as long as the parents want them too. There is no age limit. But for the children's sake and embarassment I would say early teens is a good time to split them up. By that time it is dificult for the children to explain to their friends why they are still sharing a room with the opposite sex sibling. At 5 and 7 its not even a question. As for hanging up a divider this again is putting emphasis on sexual opposites. Things that are not even entering little kids minds yet. Your cousin's husband is way off base and someone needs to find out what his problem is. Was he abused or made fun of as a child for this same reason?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)