Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can the mail man go in your car?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 49 Replies
My friends and sister think I'm crazy for being upset that the mail man delivered my mail to my car. My car was parked in the street because roofers are working on my garage. They and their stuff is in my driveway.
I went out to my car to get the kids from school and my mail was on the drivers seat. I did notice him stopping and looked on my porch for a package as I'm expecting a few. No package and i saw the mail man driving off.
I think its beyond intrusive that he went into my car! There was a package so it didn't fit in the box, my expectation is he place it on the porch and ring the bell.
What do you think? Is it ok to deliver to a car? How did he even know it was mine? There are other cars here from the contractors.
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv_my_hubby
by Nikki on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I would be mad. He has no business in someones private vehicle. I'm guessing he thought he was being helpful so it wouldn't get stolen.
army_5_wife
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

No, I would not be okay with that at all. I would be making a phone call to the post office to complain. Also make sure nothing was taken and lock your car from now on. I always keep mine locked even though there is nothing of importance in there.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

He probably knew it was your car because every time he delivers there that car is the one in your driveway.

Still, it is not an approved method for delivering the mail and I would phone in a complaint.

Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM
10 moms liked this

I wouldn't care.  In fact, I would think he was trying to be NICE and keep my stuff out of harms way if there were a bunch of contractors doing work.

I don't think its something to get bent about.  At all.

Especially since you left your window open, apparently.

brandie1470
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Im in a small town. The kind where I know and trust my mail lady. If my mailbox disappeared I would be fine with her puting it in my car.

I am thinking he could get in some kind of trouble for that though
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Was your car window open?  I would guess he knew it was your car if he was the normal mailman he has probably seen it parked in your drive way.   I think it is strange to put the package in your car if he had access to your porch and you were home it seems lazy.  I have know clue if it is against any Post Office policies I would guess probably but they seem to be getting really lax on alot of their policies. 

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM
The window was closed, the drivers door was unlocked.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

I wouldn't care.  In fact, I would think he was trying to be NICE and keep my stuff out of harms way if there were a bunch of contractors doing work.

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM
No but the door was unlocked

Quoting babyspots17:

Was your car window open?  I would guess he knew it was your car if he was the normal mailman he has probably seen it parked in your drive way.   I think it is strange to put the package in your car if he had access to your porch and you were home it seems lazy.  I have know clue if it is against any Post Office policies I would guess probably but they seem to be getting really lax on alot of their policies. 

Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Meh, you left it unlocked then.

As I said, he was probably trying to put your mail in the safest place he could think of.

Consider the intent before you make a call that could cost someone their job.  Is it worth that to you?

Quoting NDADanceMom:

The window was closed, the drivers door was unlocked.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

well I sure he knows your car from delivering your mail everyday.

he probably thought with the contractors around, your mail would be safer in your car then out on the front porch. honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't care. I know and trust my mailman and would appreciate him looking out for my mail like that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN