Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Breast feeding

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 14 Replies
This is my second child, the first one I try to breast feed but I guess I wasent doing it right that it was too painfull, but I really want to breast feed my second child coming, how long do I breast feed him for? I been watching YouTube learning videos and I'm sure I'll be getting lots of help at the hospital when I give birth, I really want to breast feed but after failing to do it with my first child I'm scared I don't be able to do it
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaineMammax2
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
For alot of women it's difficult. so many people think it's a breeze and it's not! I bf both my girls and it was hard as hell for me. it was difficult in the beginning but i had alot of support from the lactation consultant through two different places. for me it hurt in the beginning and got easier the more i did it. my first was a difficult baby to feed because she wanted to nurse every 20 minutes and none of the stuff i read prepared me for it. i stuck with it and it got easier. i kept a notebook with all my question and called the consultant every two days for help,lol. I was lucky in that i didn't have a problem producing milk i just had to figure out how to do it. i was the first person in my family to breast feed! Just stick with it and see if you can make it work if not at least you know you tried!!! Good luck:)
shortyali
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Join the breastfeeding moms group on here. There is a ton of support plus a few IBCLCs in there.
TheMommaJessie
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

every child is different my daughter wouldn't nurse for the first 3 1/2 months of her life then quit breastfeeding after her teeth came in at 9 months old. as for advice nurse until the baby quits eating they will tell you when they are done either by turning away from breast or as they get older they will bite the nipple when bored with feeding. My dd nursed about an hour to an hour in a half (that is both breast total) after 30 minutes switch breasts that way you do not engorge yourself.

crazymomma87
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM
I got sores on my nipples with my first child. Then the sores got infected. I had to pump for about two weeks. But after going through that crap and learning how to do it right bf my second was a breeze! Idk if the reason you were hurting Is the same as me but basically my daughter was using her gums to squeeze the milk out and like gnawing on it instead of sucking. Yeah ouch lol. The main thing I learned Is to pull their chin down when they're latched on, it makes them open their mouths and suck properly. Also pull their top lip up/out. Good luck! The more you research and learn about it the better the chances of you being successful!
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy!

You should check out the Breastfeeding Moms group. There are a lot of supportive and experienced breastfeeding moms in here that can help.

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

One thing that helped me is to make sure the baby gets a big ole mouthful of your boob!  I thought just my nipple went in and that was really painful and not effective. 

tiarra7022
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I have BF all three of mine and the best advice I can give is, stick with it. The first few weeks suck. It hurts you have sores but it will get better. I remeber with my first it hurt so bad I just cried the whole time. Lots of ice packs warm shows and cream got me through it. It was easier with my second due to knowing what was normal and even easier with my third. Good luck!!

staci1103
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Definetly join the breastfeeding group in here and I found the book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" a GREAT help. Gl
lizard3731
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I breastfed all 3 of my children.  My dd, the firstborn, was easy.  She latched on right away and nursed with no problem.  My 2nd and 3rd weren't as easy, but I stuck with it for about 9 months with each of them.  My ds didn't seem to know what to do and was easily distracted.  He finally managed to latch on okay, but was still easily distracted.  I got mastitis with him, which I blame on his starting and stopping frequently.  My second son didn't want to nurse on the left side for some reason known only to him.  I stuck with it and he finally did nurse on both sides.  Get all the help you can and stick with it.  Good luck!

RADmomma
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM
I agree with the previous posters. Join the breast feeding group & read all the books!!!

Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN