Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I remember when public school was free....

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 118 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just got the bill for Dd1's school fees. $212! She is a jr in high school....when I was jr in high school it was free and we had school buses (her school got rid of them her freshman year). But I guess I am just old.

Here is what the fees cover:
$5 class dues, $25 consumables, $10 handbook, $70 honors Spanish IV, $30 electricity (it's a class) $10 desktop publishing, $25 honors English II, $30 chemistry, $7 chemistry workbook

*sigh*

Do your kids have school fees?

**Let me just add I understand why there are school fees and no buses. It is a really good school and I am happy with it. It is just frustrating when the community doesn't see the value in supporting the school system, so the school has to charge for some classes. I also realize the the amount they charge probably doesn't cover the actual cost of the class per kid.

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BluePandaDreams
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Nope. She had to pay for her cap and gown at graduation, but in high school, she had no fees like that. In middle school, the school gave each kid a backpack with their school supplies. Those three years we didn't have to buy anything hardly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Mine are only in elementary school, so I only pay for some field trips.

When I was in high school, I remember paying for a few classes like biology and a couple of books.  

MommyOfOne2710
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I just graduated last year and there was nothing like that. Outrageous.
deadlights86
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Nope. My kids don't have to pay for anything including supplies.
zoo003
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Yes, the charter schools that my kids attend have school fees.  For my youngest, there is a $200 activity fee that is due at the beginning of the year, a $200 outdoor school fee (he is there this week), a planner fee of $5, supply list fee of $35 (happy about this because I would rather pay than have to buy school supplies myself), and an after school club fee of $60 (he is in a lego robotics club).  For my older two, there is a $100/each school fee, also due at the beginning of the year and they ask for donations for bus service (my kids do not take the bus though).   

sam12796
by Sandy on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Nothing so far but only in first grade.
ebbierowe
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM

My son had fees here in elementary school. They were $75. He has the in middle school too.

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Mine are only in elementary school, so I only pay for some field trips.

When I was in high school, I remember paying for a few classes like biology and a couple of books.  

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/ebbierowe
ebbierowe
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I always assumed charter schools had fees. It is just public schools having fees that was new to me.

Quoting zoo003:

Yes, the charter schools that my kids attend have school fees.  For my youngest, there is a $200 activity fee that is due at the beginning of the year, a $200 outdoor school fee (he is there this week), a planner fee of $5, supply list fee of $35 (happy about this because I would rather pay than have to buy school supplies myself), and an after school club fee of $60 (he is in a lego robotics club).  For my older two, there is a $100/each school fee, also due at the beginning of the year and they ask for donations for bus service (my kids do not take the bus though).   

ebbierowe
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I know that they have been having budget issues because a levy didn't pass so this is to offset that. That is the same reason they got rid of the buses for high school, however I just wish the people here put more value into the educational system and would pass the levy. It is actually a really good school, but there are alot of older people here and they don't want to pay more in real estate taxes (a $18 per $100,000 increase) so they didn't pass the levy

Quoting MommyOfOne2710:

I just graduated last year and there was nothing like that. Outrageous.

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM
We pay for our own supplies. Our fees are for iPad insurance, training room fees (optional) and supplies for electives such as foods class, music, art.
It can be waived if you don't have the money.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)