Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Wth????? (Long,sorry)

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

When my youngest was in first grade the school contacted us and asked if we would have his hearing checked.He'd failed the basic school hearing test....

At the Ent's, after a couple of tests we found out that Bryce couldn't hear hardly anything.He needed at least 2 surgeries to correct what was wrong and it still happens every couple of years.He has a recurring Cholesteatoma and the damage it caused managed to really screw up his left ear--He probably will never hear out of that side.His right ear is better,but not by much.

Anyway,because we didn't "catch" on to the fact that he couldn't hear us for so long (I cried for about a month over that.Felt like a horrible mom)he never really caught up with his class.He struggles with blending sounds,figuring out how to word things,how to spell them..etc.He gets really frustrated at times and calls himself stupid.frown miniDoc says his problems (reading,spelling) come from when he was learning to talk and he couldn't really hear it right.So,the wires "got crossed".

Since the beginning of this school year Bryce has come home from school upset.Saying,"Mrs.C is mean to me.She's always yelling"At the beginning,I thought maybe Mrs. C was doing what a lot of people do when they find out he doesn't hear that well....talk  REAL loud and slow,so he will hear them better. I told him to give her a while,maybe they just needed to get used to each other.As the weeks went on Bryce kept on complaining,so I went to the school.

I've talked to the principal,the vice principal and the Sped teacher at the Elementary that Bryce went to.They all said the same thing...Mrs. C is hard on the kids.And,this is fine.I'm hard on Bryce too.He needs to try his best at all times,kwim?Thing is,I had a meeting with this teacher today and I got the DISTINCT impression that she doesn't like my kid.(And,yes I know-Not everyone likes everyone else or everyone else's kids....I'm starting to think Bryce was/is having so much trouble in her room because he instinctively knew that she didn't like him.)She called a meeting and asked me if we would ask to have him removed from her class....?????I signed the paperwork and all having his homeroom changed,but wth?I know Bryce will be happier,and his grades will come back up,but still...wth?

Can teachers do that?Just confused.

Description of cholesteatoma.Everyone always asks for it,lol.

Thought for the day :

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible that way.

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Oh,and he has an IEP.Has had it since first grade.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Oh man..   What a B.   Jeez.  We have yet to come across a teacher like this in Jasmine's career.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Hey,girl.Maybe I should have pointed out that for Bryce the feeling was mutual,lol.Or she realized she was picking on him and decided it wasn't fair?Oh,well.At least he won't have to deal with it after Monday.

How are you?Last time we talked you had just gotten back from that trip,right?Where is that park?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Oh man..   What a B.   Jeez.  We have yet to come across a teacher like this in Jasmine's career.

sheila1286
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Yikes. Sounds like regardless HE is better off elsewhere. I would write to the principal with a formal complaint and contact the relative authorities just in case it happens to other children. If there were issues with your son and his teacher there seems to have been no effort to resolve them.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I talked to the principal for about an hour afterwards....I'm still sort of shocked though.

Quoting sheila1286:

Yikes. Sounds like regardless HE is better off elsewhere. I would write to the principal with a formal complaint and contact the relative authorities just in case it happens to other children. If there were issues with your son and his teacher there seems to have been no effort to resolve them.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

i would move him

my middle son has an iep because of speech issues due to fluid on his ears and if my child came to me and said that so and so was being mean i would have them moved in a heartbeat

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

You should research brain training.  It may really help him. 

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Never heard of that...but,now I'm off to google.big smile mini

Quoting NDADanceMom:

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I sent my son to learning RX for brain training.  They are miracle workers.  He has ADHD and is on 1/4 the dose of medication he was on before.  They also deal with issues like your son because I have seen kids there getting retrained because of cochlear implants. 

Quoting brandyblx:

Never heard of that...but,now I'm off to google.big smile mini

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)