Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A mom in a post today said she felt retarded for not knowing something.  I posted a video from a stop the R word campaign to let her know how it makes people feel.  Some people have heard the word so many times that they just dont realize how hateful the word is.  Sometimes a gentle nudge is enough for people to realize that its no different than any other slur word.  I wasnt judging her.  Its really no different than my great grandpa calling people of color the N word.  He always heard it being used and never really thought about it being hateful.  It was just a word to him.  

She pmd me and said she really didnt care.  its just a word and she and her kids will always use it.  No big deal.  Sad.  What do you think?

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I don't call them special people. That is condescending.

Quoting Hollybriann:

To me r*****ed is just a word and nothing else like a pp said. If you wanna talk about "special people" then call them "special". I do use the R word...because I don't feel like I'm talking about special people. And I don't see special people as r*****ed. I see them just like any other person and I say hi or smile to them like a normal person.
Hollybriann
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Thats exacty the logic. I do think about what I say. If somebody can't help but be stupid then I realize it and I don't say anything. But if it's a smart person that knows better then yes.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Ok following that logic can you use the n word to describe a person who behaves a certain way and not attribute it to a skin color? So let's say you see some white teen dressed in an urban manner and he speaks in a black vernacular. You tell your kids to stay away from the n$$$(&&.

You aren't saying black people are n words. You are saying people who act like a stereotype of black people are. Yikes!

So if something is ugly, stupid, lame, then the r word should be ok to use? I hope when you think about it you realize its really not ok and it can hurt the people that least deserve to be hurt.

Quoting Hollybriann:

To me r*****ed is just a word and nothing else like a pp said. If you wanna talk about "special people" then call them "special". I do use the R word...because I don't feel like I'm talking about special people. And I don't see special people as r*****ed. I see them just like any other person and I say hi or smile to them like a normal person.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM

No we don't use it. We also don't say things are gay either.

outtamymynd
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Yes. It's just a word.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PestPatti
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Quoting IhartU:

Yes, I do. I'm sick of having to feel bad for someone else being offended by a WORD.

Why does that not surpise me.  

cLanief
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
My cousin has cerebral palsy. Grew up with him. Hes like, 25 now... capacity of a 3 or 4yo. So I AM the family of a mentaly disabled. Try again.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

So i assume then if you had someone next to you holding the hand of a Down's syndrome child it would be ok to call something ugly or stupid retarded? It would not embarrass you to use that word with the family listening since its harmless and you aren't talking about a person?

Quoting cLanief:

Yes I do and every one I know does too. To us it is a more descriptive word to use than stupid, dummy, moron, acting assinine. . Etc. Usually used as fucking re.... not in a derogatory way to actually mentally disabled or even physically.

Its like fag and gay used to mean completely different things than homosexual... words evolve.

goddiddlyumshis
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM
It's slipped out a few times
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyziegler
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
I mean I called my puppy a reeree earlier but I won't call any person a retard ever!! Words hurt
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

No, I don't. My best friend has a special needs child and that would be a huge insult to her. And in my opinion since I work in the school system I think it's disrespectful.  She went through this a couple weeks ago when a so called friend consciously used the "r" word.

sam12796
by Sandy on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

No I don't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)