Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A mom in a post today said she felt retarded for not knowing something.  I posted a video from a stop the R word campaign to let her know how it makes people feel.  Some people have heard the word so many times that they just dont realize how hateful the word is.  Sometimes a gentle nudge is enough for people to realize that its no different than any other slur word.  I wasnt judging her.  Its really no different than my great grandpa calling people of color the N word.  He always heard it being used and never really thought about it being hateful.  It was just a word to him.  

She pmd me and said she really didnt care.  its just a word and she and her kids will always use it.  No big deal.  Sad.  What do you think?

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Replies (41-50):
Kmary
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this entirely. 

My mother once had a co-worker give her a lecture about not using that word....but she had used it this way (no, I'm not kidding):  "We bought that special type of paint for above the shower that is supposed to retard the growth of  mold."

This is a perfectly accurate and acceptable use of a form of the word retard or retardation.  But because people are ignorant and are unable to discern its proper usage from calling someone a retard as an insult, now everyone everywhere is supposed to never use it.  So ridiculous!

Quoting frndlyfn:

I do not use it .   I do not mind if people use it correctly and not as a slur.  When you are using it to call a person a name is when you cross the line.

Sweetest_Britt
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM

no, i dont

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Yes i do but i try not to. Some times it just comes out. 90% of the time i think of an alternative.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
It is important to raise awareness about the R word, and the use of sexual orientation and racial and religious bias in speech too
Jess4907
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Nope! My 7 year old niece has Down Syndrome it bugs the hell out of me when people say it. Do I go off on them no I just try to keep my month shut. I love that PSA I've posted it on Facebook a few times in the past.
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with her, people are getting way too sensitive.

momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM

No I dont

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Sometimes when my husband and I are joking around we will with each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Okie-chick
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I don't use it nor do I like the word.
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes they are.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

I agree with her, people are getting way too sensitive.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)