Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Where do I post a question about a job? Medical Transcriptionist and Virtual Assistant

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:24 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm looking for any moms who have done or do either of those 2 jobs. a Medical Transcriptionist/Editor or Virtual Assistant. I read the need for an MT is dying but I was told by someone doing it there are jobs for them everywhere... Maybe a mix of both? I know the MT dying is due to the digital age. What does anyone know about being a VA? I can google all I want for job details but I can't wrap my brain around what all they do... Just needing some more leads before I go any further with decisions!

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not know much about either.  This ia a good place to ask about it.  Or you can check out Working Moms and the Advice groups.  Good luck to you!

KatLee42513
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I do legal transcription so I can't imagine the digital age really affecting medical transcription.  I've looked into a virtual assistant position before but there aren't very many positions available.  I've been looking for about 2-3 years now. 

Mater-three
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Mt is NOT dying. I'm in school right now to be a MTE which works with the speech regnition software that people are using as well as doing regular mt. Look it up. There is NO way a computer can ever accurately transcribe all documents not to mention some doctors it won't be feasible for at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrimalMom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quoting Mater-three:

Mt is NOT dying. I'm in school right now to be a MTE which works with the speech regnition software that people are using as well as doing regular mt. Look it up. There is NO way a computer can ever accurately transcribe all documents not to mention some doctors it won't be feasible for at all.

That's a relief! All the searching I did look up online said the demand was dying due to the exact software you speak of so I was really discouraged. What school did you use and do you like it?

PrimalMom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Thank you! All I understand about being a virtual assistant is that many small businesses use them and that their job can be anything from designing logos and websites to being on the phone and helping someone navigate a website. It sounded like a creative or design job? I really couldn't comprehend everything I tried reading about it. Another mom also said that the demand isn't dying. Relieved of that because I'm really interested. Do you have a link somewhere that can better explain what a va does?

Quoting KatLee42513:

I do legal transcription so I can't imagine the digital age really affecting medical transcription.  I've looked into a virtual assistant position before but there aren't very many positions available.  I've been looking for about 2-3 years now. 

Mater-three
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Career Step and yes. It's self paced and has graduate support to help you with a job. I'm in the fourth module right now..medical terminology:)

Quoting PrimalMom:

Quoting Mater-three:

That's a relief! All the searching I did look up online said the demand was dying due to the exact software you speak of so I was really discouraged. What school did you use and do you like it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrimalMom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM
That is what I would be using. I just now did the search for it again and watched the short description video of it.. Thanks for your responses!
Quoting Mater-three:

Career Step and yes. It's self paced and has graduate support to help you with a job. I'm in the fourth module right now..medical terminology:)

Quoting PrimalMom:

Quoting Mater-three:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN