Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Looking for answers

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hello my name is Kimmie. I'm 36 years old & have 2 wonderful boys; Brian- 12 & Dante- 10. I'm here to get advise. You see I'm homeless & a emotional wreck! I do have a job, thank goodness! But the house I was renting is in poor shape & the landlord refuses to fix any thing. The fire inspector knocked on my front door one morning & told me that the house had been inspected previously when the last renters lived here & has the landlord made repairs. He showed me a print out of pictures "violations" of the house. Next think I know is the house being condemned & I'm moving out with nowhere to go & no funds to work with. Just paid all my bills 2 days prior (including rent). For the last 2 weeks I've been searching the web, looking for any help to get me started on my feet again. I've called Red Cross, Salvation Army, HUD housing, Rescue Mission, even DCFS & noone is able to help because of no funds or they don't do that anymore. Does anybody have any hope they could share with me.

Thank you,
Kimmie
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

by Head Admin on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Hi Kimmie!

hugs

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Now that the government shutdown is over, it may be worth checking into this again? Maybe you could try calling the county for information on local programs that could help?

Steph

jomami
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Hi - I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening.

You may want to check out this link - there's info on housing assistance and other info, too:

Benefits.gov
Benefits.gov is the official benefits website of the U.S. government, with information on over 1,000 benefit and assistance programs.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Hi Kimmie.  Have you checked with any shelters or churches to see if they have any sort of programs available to help you and your children?

katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I think you should get into contact with your previous landlord and tell him you want your rent money returned. If he refuses I would sue him for it because what he has done is wrong!

As others have said, check with churches and homeless shelters.
catrig
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM
check with the salvation army
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
It may help to post where you live. My friend owns a hotel called the manger inn here in Minnesota. She allows families to live there for free for up to one year. It's not run as a hotel anymore. She changed it to a homeless shelter for families, not people going in and out all the time, just families.
Bellavy
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
This and also check local churches they always have housing available.

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Hi Kimmie!

hugs

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Now that the government shutdown is over, it may be worth checking into this again? Maybe you could try calling the county for information on local programs that could help?

Steph

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)