Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Reached my last nerve with the neighbors church

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM
  • 28 Replies
We are traditional Roman Catholics. Mass on Sunday, religion on Wednesday. One of the neighbor kids always wants my daughter to go to her church. It is a charismatic penticostal type church. I let her go once and I'm sure to an 11 year old its thrilling compared to mass. Now the family asks her to go every Sunday. I offered to allow the girls to alternate churches and we would bring their daughter every other week to mass. They didn't like that as Catholics are headed to hell. I just told my daughter no more church talk with them. Just play and stay off the topic.
They won't let the church thing drop and finally i forbid my daughter to go near the family. I get it, they are really into their church but we are just as faithful in our own. Can't they just play and leave the church chat alone??!! After months of warnings its clear they can not and I'm done for good!
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buckeyefever
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I don't blame you. i had a lady that lived on the corner who was a witness who would not take no for a damn answer. I quit letting my son play with hers because after awhile you get sick of it. I grew up catholic and while I don't practice it anymore and have turned into more of non denominational it still irks me when religion has to be a factor into who plays with who.

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Hahaha we got one next door. Makes holidays interesting with all our decorating and Easter zegg hunts....... Hehw :D

Quoting buckeyefever:

I don't blame you. i had a lady that lived on the corner who was a witness who would not take no for a damn answer. I quit letting my son play with hers because after awhile you get sick of it. I grew up catholic and while I don't practice it anymore and have turned into more of non denominational it still irks me when religion has to be a factor into who plays with who.

buckeyefever
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I mean I understand everyone has their religious preferences but it irritates me to no end that my not being against blood transfusions and other things that they may not agree with makes me a heathen. I have fun when they come to my door and try to convert me. I guess you could say that is when my mischievous side comes out.

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Hahaha we got one next door. Makes holidays interesting with all our decorating and Easter zegg hunts....... Hehw :D

Quoting buckeyefever:

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Some people have no respect for others religious beliefs.  To many Catholic haters out there. Dh and I are also practicing Roman Catholics.  I get so annoyed when others of other denominations criticize our beliefs. Try to push why their church is better.

BraydensMama163
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes that's not OK. I'd suggest talking to them personally about it. If that doesn't solve it then I'd tell my kids we just can't hang out with them any more if they can't be respectful we have our own beliefs.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM
I would stop being friends with them too. I don't like people who are constantly trying to "recruit" people to their church.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Boys9501
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM
At 11 I would allow my daughter to choose which church she wanted to attend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I think you are in the right.  There is no reason for them to be pushing their beliefs on your daughter.  Sounds almost cult like.

wicked_tink
by goofy goober on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I do not blame you op
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM
You will probably have to stop associating with them. No offense to anyone who is Pentecostal or Fundamentalist Church of God, but they are both like that. I grew up in a fundamentalist COG, and they teach some crazy almost cult-like stuff. Everyone who does not follow their beliefs is bound for hell, and usually they have no tolerance for other's beliefs or religions.
I just wanted to add, I don't believe that, but that is what they teach. They especially come down on the Catholic Church calling her "the great whore" that is mentioned in the book of Revelations.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)