Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Will he ever be able too??

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 20 Replies

So I'm really afraid my son isn't going to walk hes 21 months and has low muscle tone.weve talked to the doctor but they said it will take some time we've been waiting for about 10 months.he'll walk with a walker for about 20 minutes. He stands for about 15 minutes with holding on and 10 minutes on his own without holding on.. Dose he try to make steps but falls after about 3 steps. So I don't really know what to do to convince he'll be okay walking.. Any suggestions??

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM

BUMP!

LilTymomma
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

takes practice......just have him around other kids his age he'll see them walking hell want to join. Don't push him too much he'll get it. Are there any exercises your dr recommended for him? I would do that and avoid putting him in the walker. Good Luck!!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I do agree with this :)

Quoting LilTymomma:

takes practice......just have him around other kids his age he'll see them walking hell want to join. Don't push him too much he'll get it. Are there any exercises your dr recommended for him? I would do that and avoid putting him in the walker. Good Luck!!

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like he is getting the idea.  Was he a premie or did he have any birth defects that might be causing the delay?  Does he go to therapy?  I would just keep encouraging him and working with him.

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My suggestion is to lay him on his back a couple of times a day and hold his feet and make his legs go like he was riding a bike to build up the strength in his legs. Don't do it for more than a few minutes each time so you don't strain his muscles, tendons and joints. Please ask your doctor if this is a good therapy for him before you do it. My oldest girl didn't walk until she was nearly two. She would crawl to the couch and pull herself up on her feet but the minute she left the couch she would fall down on her butt. She was simply butt heavy but she eventually she grew into her size. try the leg therapy but only after asking the doctor and don't over do it.

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

BUMP!

jconney80
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Is he in physical therapy? Early intervention can do physical therapy at home for free if you aren't already in it. My friends daughter is autistic with low tone and started walking at 21 months. You can also do outpatient physical therapy at a childrens therapy place or hospital. Your pedi can refer you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM

He's currently in ei for physical therapy. He is starting hopefully next month twice a month. But we will see we are still waiting on a phone call. It sucks I don't know!!

RADmomma
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Have you asked the dr if there's any exercises you can do at home to help hi with you wait for pt?
darbyakeep45
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I answered your question in the special needs kids group:)  Hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)