Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

2nd shift part time?

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:17 AM
  • 3 Replies
Hi all! I am a mommy of a 5 yr old n 3 yr old and pregnant. Started a new job working nights a month ago. I hate it. No sleep, I feel like I lose many days during the week. I only work 2 nights but they are 12.5 hr shifts.7pm to 730am before my first shift I can't do much because I need a few hour nap. The first day after I sleep most of the day til I go back. After my 2nd shift I sleep most of the day and finally the following day I have some energy but still tired. Its been hard for me to flip it is now 1am and I'm wide awake last night up til 3am. My mom says im not myself, my house hasn't been as put together, haven't been feeling well, and more angry. I have an interview Tuesday for a new job working 2nd shift 3-1130 at a hotel. it would be part time so probably 3 shifts a week. what are your thoughts on second shift????I think it will be better since I can get to sleep at a normal time and still have time before work with my kids and to get stuff done. Plus its only a few days so I will still have many evenings with my children still.
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommy1008
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:22 AM
I have 3 kids ages 5, 2, and 5 months and I've worked night shift for 2 years now...I HATE IT!! And I do 8 hr shifts, 4 days a week. I'm so ready to get a day shift job. However I wouldn't do evenings. My thing is: on nights I don't HAVE to miss anything with my kids except sleep. I can sleep around their activities, bday parties, school functions whatever. Day shift would be about the same except weekends would suck, and my job requires every other weekend. Evenings, in my opinion, would be the worst because it's like your whole day gone...good luck in your decision though!!
Caitlinmari
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Yea I feel like with night shift I miss out because I am so tired, miserable, and depressed. I go to work Tuesday and not to myself til Friday. It is like 3 full days that I completely miss out on. I am not sure how it would work for weekends if I would work one day or both or every other weekend. I would love to work days but it wouldn't work out daycare wise. Most of my sons games and etc are earlier too. I also thought about holidays but I could still be here during the day and instead of doing a dinner I think we could do a dinner around lunch time. Hopefully eventually I can switch if I want to. Just being pregnant I can't wait around cause I'm not showing yet so I am trying to get something new before I do.

Quoting mommy1008:

I have 3 kids ages 5, 2, and 5 months and I've worked night shift for 2 years now...I HATE IT!! And I do 8 hr shifts, 4 days a week. I'm so ready to get a day shift job. However I wouldn't do evenings. My thing is: on nights I don't HAVE to miss anything with my kids except sleep. I can sleep around their activities, bday parties, school functions whatever. Day shift would be about the same except weekends would suck, and my job requires every other weekend. Evenings, in my opinion, would be the worst because it's like your whole day gone...good luck in your decision though!!

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM
The hotel job sounds so much better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)