Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does anyone have migraine with aura?

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 8 Replies
What symptoms do you have? How long do they last? How often do you get them? Have they lessened in frequency as time goes on or is it pretty much the same as it's always been?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AromaDrops33
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Yep, today actually. It lasted about 20 minutes but would have been longer if I didn't take my meds. Symptoms are a light storm in my eyes, can't see very well, eyes water. I've had them sine 1998, but they have gradually slowed down in frequency
fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I used to get them alot! Since I turned 50,they've decreased substantially. My starts with a throbbing in the right side of my temple & goes to the right side of my face & right eye. I usually don't get an aura as such just usuallyblurry vision & a sensitivity to light & sound. I had them from the time I was 10 years old to age 50 nearly every month.

plumbobtoggle
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I get light and sound sensitivity along with nausea. They seem to be hormone triggered, as I get them a lot before my periods and during pregnancy. Sometimes I get them if it's going to rain or snow (difference in barometric pressure perhaps?).

They usually last an hour at least, sometimes several. Once I had one that lasted a few days. Over the years they've lessened in frequency, but I suspect that's because my hormones are out of whack. I have decreased estrogen production, but I cannot take hormone supplements due to health reasons. 

MrsWilmot
by Meggs on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I used to get them really bad when I was a kid. They peaked when I was about 12. Had one bad enough to send me home from school at least once a week in 6 th grade. Now I still get one occasionally but they are rare though I still get the auras pretty often with out any other symptoms
ndfan
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I have cardiovascular stress migraines, I get auras, tunnel vision, numbness on my left side, can't talk, vomitting, and loose stools. I have tried Topamax therapy which was fantastic but severe weight loss and short term memory loss are side effects. 

cmjustice
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Yep. I've had them since I was 10. They actually took me to the eye doctor first because I was having vision disturbances. They were ones to ask me if I saw spots and flashes, and we went from there. Mine wax and wane, I'll go through long stretches where I have only one or two a month and then have a stint where they're every day. About three years ago, they started to get more intense with numbness down my right arm and right side of face. Those are horrible. I was on propanalol as a prophylactic and I only had one migraine the whole 2 years I took it. It was wonderful. I weaned off of it, and I'm back to migraines 1 or 2 times a month. I can deal with that, if they get more frequent I may go back on the meds.
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Yup I get them bad. Before they got me on meds I was having about3 a week. And mine would last upwards of 12 hours. Now I'm on Noratryptaline which I take every night to try and prevent them. And sumtriptin which I take when I start getting the auras. It helps stop the migraines, but doesn't fully kick them with one dose. Usually takes around 4 hours for the meds to fully work. Now that I'm on prevention meds I only get migraines about 3 times every month or so. Much better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)