Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is 9yrs old too young for a girl to shave her legs?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 58 Replies

My daughter wants to start shaving her legs.  She's only 9 and I think that's a little young.  She has dark hair though and says some of her friends told her she should shave so now she wants to.

Should I let her?  What age is a good age to start?  When did you start?

I didn't start shaving my legs until I was 11yrs old!

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kelguest
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

My daughter is 12 and has only just started shaving her legs, they needed to be done at age 9 but that is way to young! LOL

Try and leave it another year or so!

Mrs.Parker.2013
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM

i think that is way too young to start shaving.  I didnt shave until i was 13.

jomami
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Quoting Kelguest:

My daughter is 12 and has only just started shaving her legs, they needed to be done at age 9 but that is way to young! LOL

Try and leave it another year or so!

Yeah - they defintely look like they should be shaved but she does seem young to start. 

Not sure why not to let her though.  She could use an electric razor so she doesn't get hurt...

parisonmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM
If they are hairy help her shave. If she just wants to do it because her friends does it then no
jomami
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Quoting parisonmom:

If they are hairy help her shave. If she just wants to do it because her friends does it then no

That's what I'm thinking.  She has hairy legs and should shave them!

jomami
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Quoting Mrs.Parker.2013:

Do you think it's bad to let her shave at a young age?

Mrs.Parker.2013
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Quoting jomami:

Quoting Mrs.Parker.2013:

I dont know about 'bad' but i dont agree with it. I don't think a girl should shave until she actually needs to. Same with boys. they dont need to be using razors until they are old enough that they actually NEED to use them.
NYGiantsFan
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I think it's too young. My daughter is 6, and I noticed she has light hair on her legs. Some of her friends who are 6 and 7 have darker hair. I think your daughter only wants to shave because of peer pressure. Perhaps you can explain to her that hair on legs/under arms/wherever else is natural, and when she becomes a teenager (or perhaps when she's in Jr. High School) she can start shaving.

I'm not sure if it's an option for children, but I think one of the drug store type moisturizing lotions help lighten hair and soften it, so that it's not as visible. Might be a viable option to shaving.

jomami
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Quoting Mrs.Parker.2013:

Quoting jomami:

Quoting Mrs.Parker.2013:

I dont know about 'bad' but i dont agree with it. I don't think a girl should shave until she actually needs to. Same with boys. they dont need to be using razors until they are old enough that they actually NEED to use them.

Her hairy legs are not really an issue until she's dressing up.  Then they look funny.  Maybe we should just shave them when she's dressing up...

jomami
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Quoting NYGiantsFan:

I think it's too young. My daughter is 6, and I noticed she has light hair on her legs. Some of her friends who are 6 and 7 have darker hair. I think your daughter only wants to shave because of peer pressure. Perhaps you can explain to her that hair on legs/under arms/wherever else is natural, and when she becomes a teenager (or perhaps when she's in Jr. High School) she can start shaving.

I'm not sure if it's an option for children, but I think one of the drug store type moisturizing lotions help lighten hair and soften it, so that it's not as visible. Might be a viable option to shaving.

Wuoldn't it be easier to just shave rather than use chemicals to lighten the hair.  I mean if  she's going to use something, might as well just take care of it, right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN