Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kids kids kids and retail? To be or impossible?!

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

I was wondering if anyone is close to or maybe in my position, I have 3 kids 2 at home and one not at home currently and one kid on the way. I don't feel like I could really get a "professional" job right now because who wants to hire someone who will need to take off work for a while in 5 months?

I was thinking about trying for a retail job just to have something but what can I do with my other 2 kids? I know of one daycare that has the odd hours and you pick your hours but one of my kids is in school, has anyone ever done retail weird hours with kids and complicated circumstances? 

I would love to hear any suggestions or ideas. Maybe if you're currently making it let me know how it's going. THANKS!

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM

why not do childcare from your home?

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Well first when you apply let them know your preferred hours.... As in day shift over evenings. Then you arrange for daycare for you littler one and after school care for you bigger one ... Many day cares offer pick up from the school. I would find out if the one you are looking at does that.
ladymaleficent
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM
You can apply and try telling them you can only work some hours but this is our season, even part timers have to be reallly open at this point. Black friday is 33 days away that is when it gets super crazy. Getting hired pregnant might be a problem too...
hugss
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Have any family or friends close by to help?
As the others have said .. when you apply let them know your preferred hours ;)

freckledmermaid
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Thanks ladies, I figure preferred hours are probably not going to fly with the holidays coming up and all :/ I'm sure there are other moms also working and doubt I'd get any special treatment which is fine I completely understand. Just sucks :/

freckledmermaid
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I would but had a horrible experience doing that, also I need to move out of this place ASAP, and I can't imagine trying to cart extra kids around to my doctors visits every month :/

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

why not do childcare from your home?

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I did retail when I was in school.  No kids and it was difficult.  I would let them know during an interview that you are only available certain hours.  The problem with retail is that the holiday season is coming and employers tend to want people that they can call at a moment's notice to work or stay late if business is booming or someone is sick.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I work when my hubby is off work, so nights and weekends. Retail. Built in child are right there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)