Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Child with hearing loss, need advice

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 17 Replies

DD 7, has hearing loss.  She has never in her life passed a hearing test, she was born 2 months early so we are pretty sure that is the cause.  Every year it gets gradually worse but twice a year the school sends us to an audiologist (because she failed) and the audiologist sends us to an ENT who says its not fluid in the ears, she's never had an ear infection and doesn't need tubes and then sends us back to the audiologist who then recommends preferential seating etc.  This has been happening twice a year since she was 2.   We are of course doing our fall visit to the audiologist on Monday but this time I think we may have a more serious problem then in the past.  She is struggling in school, misunderstands what I say a lot, and  she has to have the TV really loud.   These are new issues as her hearing loss has always been so small it never caused an issue at home before but its becoming a problem because she is not hearing me.    If your child has hearing loss do they have hearing aids? if so when did they get them and did you have to go through this?    It's really frustrating because she already has every other accomodation there is in school and I really think its time for hearing aids.    Any advice would be helpful

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM

BUMP!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I just want to wish you luck and I think you are correct in thinking she needs hearing aids or something more serious to help her function better in life.  Do the tvs have close caption option for her so the volume does not have to be loud yet she knows what everyone is saying?

Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

I just want to wish you luck and I think you are correct in thinking she needs hearing aids or something more serious to help her function better in life.  Do the tvs have close caption option for her so the volume does not have to be loud yet she knows what everyone is saying?

yes we do, but she is only 7 so can't read everything yet but pretty close.  Thanks

terpmama
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Hearing aids would be my recommendation from ye audiologist. A for school and home might I suggest learning sign language. This will give her another resource as the course load gets heavier. Perhaps an fm system for school (basically the teacher wears a mic that is set to her aids and basically boosts her teachers voice or modifies the pitch to match her range but doesn't impact the rest of the class).
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Quoting terpmama:

Hearing aids would be my recommendation from ye audiologist. A for school and home might I suggest learning sign language. This will give her another resource as the course load gets heavier. Perhaps an fm system for school (basically the teacher wears a mic that is set to her aids and basically boosts her teachers voice or modifies the pitch to match her range but doesn't impact the rest of the class).

Thank you, and we have been considering sign language especially since it seems to be getting worse.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:42 PM
It's a great tool! Especially as she gets older. Maybe a "note taker" or copies of teachers notes (trying to watch an interpreter/lipread teacher and take notes is extremely hard)

Quoting Lordgodempress:

Quoting terpmama:

Thank you, and we have been considering sign language especially since it seems to be getting worse.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Big hugs hon,
Like the idea of hearing aids .. see what the ear guy has to suggest as well ;)

terpmama
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM
What state are you in?
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Where do you live?  My dad is an ENT and audiologist trainer.  They are not all the same.  It sounds like she should have an aid to me.  Once again they are not all the same.  I would look into a place near you that specializes in starkey equipment. 

Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Where do you live?  My dad is an ENT and audiologist trainer.  They are not all the same.  It sounds like she should have an aid to me.  Once again they are not all the same.  I would look into a place near you that specializes in starkey equipment. 

I live in Colorado.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)