Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Talented and Gifted program for children. What it is ?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 11 Replies

My husband & i went to my son conference today. The teacher told us that our son is well advanced in his class and his test scores are very good. She then told us we should considered getting him into the Talented and Gifted program. My ? is have anyone been in this program ? or do you know anyone that has been in this program ?. Someone help me out here lol.

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM

b

godsgirl26

u

godsgirl26

m

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM

p

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM
it often depends on the school that you are in what the G&T program entails. for some it offers extra opportunities to keep a smart child engaged. in other school districts out is a label that doesn't get you much more than s few extra worksheets. some schools have entire classes, others have pull out groups for particular subjects.

you really need to talk to the school directly to see what it can offer your child
cmjustice
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I participated from 2nd grade to 8th grade, because those were the only grades that were offered. We just had a special class that met once a week in elementary school. We had to be bussed to another school. In middle school we met during the "lab" block daily. It was a great experience for me. Lots of academically challenging material but a lot of creatively stimulating stuff as well. Because of the "gifted" label, I had an IEP annually until I went to high school and had to take additional standardized tests.
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I work at an elementary school - here they get pulled out of regular class with the gifted teacher. They often get to go on extra field trips (for learning) and work on a lot of projects. They also work with other gifted programs at other elementary schools in our town. They are all on a modified IEP and have to get tested in order to be part of the gifted program. I am not sure how it is for different states. I live in a military town so I see lots of records from other schools and some don't recognized  the gifted program.

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Thanks ladies :)

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I did it 20 years ago when I was in elementary school. My CE ( curriculum enrichment) was the best day of my week... But I would talk to you school and find out what exactly it is in your area
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I am. I help out tomorrow so i will talk to the school then thanks.

Quoting ditsyjo:

I did it 20 years ago when I was in elementary school. My CE ( curriculum enrichment) was the best day of my week... But I would talk to you school and find out what exactly it is in your area

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN