Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Registering a car not in your name. Please help PIOG

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
  • 22 Replies

Last week me and my bf broke up. The car he's driving is in my name. He bought it off of craigslist but the insurance, title. And registration are in my name. I'm going out of town this weekend and I've been trying to get ahold of him to let him know I'm going out of town so I can sign over the title before I leave but he's not answering my text or calls. Is there away for him to register the car in his or his aunts name without me signing over the title?? He stole the title from my lock box when he left. Any advice would be great thanks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:06 AM

not unless he forges your signature  and idk about other states but in texas there is a second form the seller has to sign also

jenking04
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Quoting Fields456:

not unless he forges your signature  and idk about other states but in texas there is a second form the seller has to sign also

Thats what i thoght. He doesnt have a licence so i'm trying to get the car out of my name ASAP but since he stole the title out of my lock box while i was at work i cant just sign it and be done with it. I tried to report the car stolen when he left since its in my name but the cops said they wouldnt report it stolen cause he bought the car. But the title, insurance and registration are in my name and he doesnt have a licence

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Ya I don't blame you good luck

Quoting jenking04:

Quoting Fields456:

Thats what i thoght. He doesnt have a licence so i'm trying to get the car out of my name ASAP but since he stole the title out of my lock box while i was at work i cant just sign it and be done with it. I tried to report the car stolen when he left since its in my name but the cops said they wouldnt report it stolen cause he bought the car. But the title, insurance and registration are in my name and he doesnt have a licence

Heisenberg
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM

It depends what state you're in, but you may want to report the car stolen at this point.

bex55
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Who cares if he doesn't have a license? That won't reflect on you at all. Reporting the car stolen also seems really harsh, you acknowledge you are going to sign it over to him and he bought it. Just fill out a sale form with your state, that will have a date on it and if something happens you have proof that you "sold" the car to him on that date.

jenking04
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I'm in Nevada. I tried to report it stolen but because he bought the car the cops won't do anything even though it's in my name. And my ex said we can go to court and the person who sold him the car would be a witness and testify against me.

Quoting Heisenberg:

It depends what state you're in, but you may want to report the car stolen at this point.

Heisenberg
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Legally its your car. Don't tell them he paid for it. Here in Illinois it's not as easy as just signing a title. 

Quoting jenking04:

I'm in Nevada. I tried to report it stolen but because he bought the car the cops won't do anything even though it's in my name. And my ex said we can go to court and the person who sold him the car would be a witness and testify against me.

Quoting Heisenberg:

jenking04
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM
But don't I have to sign over the title so he can register it in his name?? I don't even have the title anymore because he stole it while I was at work

Quoting bex55:

Who cares if he doesn't have a license? That won't reflect on you at all. Reporting the car stolen also seems really harsh, you acknowledge you are going to sign it over to him and he bought it. Just fill out a sale form with your state, that will have a date on it and if something happens you have proof that you "sold" the car to him on that date.

jenking04
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
When the cop talked to him he told them he bought the car and he has proof they also talked to his aunt as well

Quoting Heisenberg:

Legally its your car. Don't tell them he paid for it. Here in Illinois it's not as easy as just signing a title. 

Quoting jenking04:

Quoting Heisenberg:

bex55
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Yes he needs the title to register it in his name but since you can't report it stolen anyway and he doesn't seem interested in having the title signed, reporting it as sold on this date will cover your ass.

Quoting jenking04:

But don't I have to sign over the title so he can register it in his name?? I don't even have the title anymore because he stole it while I was at work

Quoting bex55:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)