Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ancestry

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have always been curious about my ancestry ... why? well, let me tell you if you saw my family then you say dang now I understand why she wants to know... lol

But in all seriousness - I always wondered many things about my family and families in general. Such as curses in the family, illness, poverty or riches, their quests/journies etc... I began my journey many years ago and then stopped. I have recently started and  I have to say I have accomplished a great deal. I have found up to my husbands 5 great grandparents on both sides, mother and father. And understand a great deal of who they are and why some in the family are as they are as well. (wink) ...

I've checked my families side and have come across a great deal of history and culture as well. Shoot we are the "milky way".  I love to research and really look into things that need a bit of further looking into if you will. I have found so much and am so grateful for it as well.

I have been able to speak to my mother about it all and she absolutely loves it. She has been able to take time to really think about her childhood and the memories began flooding back. It confirmed a great deal of my research as well.

The best part of it all has been to see the intrigue in my mother and that by far exceeds anything that I ever hoped to find. This is the greatest gift I could have ever received in my life ... (shhh though I didn't share that with anyone yet - just between us girls)

Life - Family --> they go hand in hand even though at times we're like UGH with them both. :-D - it's all about perspective.

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

thats awesome

hugss
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

How wonderful :)

KayBeCareful
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

That's wonderful that you are learning where you came from.  I'm lucky with that. My mother had an aunt who did geneology research for over 30 years and then passed it down, much of it online at this point. My parents put another 20 years into his branch of the family.  It's a fascinating study.

They found that we have two ancestors who signed the Declaration of Independence and one of those was also in the Continental Congress before our independence.  His son signed the Constitution.

And even before that, one of mama's ancestors was Lord Mayor of London back in the 1600's. 

Another was a very famous and deadly gunslinger in the Old West who was eventually hung for his crimes. 

Several fought in the War Between the States, on both sides. Truly brother against brother.

We have Cherokee ancestors who survived the Trail of Tears--for the high cheekbones, thank you very much.  One of them was the Chief of the Oklahoma Cherokees for years.  

One of the women was suspected of murdering her second and third husbands for their money--and there was a lot of it.  It seems her first husband was the love of her life and she was distraught and depressed to have lost him too early.  Then she went into business for herself, so to speak. 

Another of the women was a gold digger who kept their daughter away from her father except by extortion. She demanded money and property from him and got it.  He kidnapped the daughter--my great grandmother--and tried to get his property back with no luck. He caved and gave her back, knowing that he couldn't care for young girl properly.  I guess that was the only way women could get "child support" back in the day. 

There's another who did some time in Leavenworth for bootlegging back during Prohibition. 

There were many more, too many to list as the ads say, including one who has a university named after him and another who was the first female governor of Texas.

If you continue to research, you'll be amazed at that you'll find.  It's wonderful to know where you came from. Be prepared for the bad as well as the good but then, sometimes the bad is much more fun to discover.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM

My mom was adopted so I totally understand wanting to know more and I think it's great that you've been able to find out so much information about your own family!

Are you putting all of your newfound knowledge down on paper?  When we did find my mom's birth family, my cousin handed us each a book she had made with all of the family history in it.  Wow, we learned a lot!  :)

**Chat with us ANONYMOUSLY!**

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM

How fun!!

Phylis419
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM

on my biological fathers side: we have royal blood coming from Spain and Scottland. We do come from the Iberian Islands which I was able to trace back to Jewish ancestry all the way to the 12 Tribes etc... that within itself was extremely interesting and exciting ... a great deal of reading and researching from my part.

on my mothers side: We have a judge on the Supreme court and come from the original Taino Indians and also from Spain. a great deal within that as well. Still working on it still.

fun work but brain draining as well

Quoti:ng KayBeCareful:

That's wonderful that you are learning where you came from.  I'm lucky with that. My mother had an aunt who did geneology research for over 30 years and then passed it down, much of it online at this point. My parents put another 20 years into his branch of the family.  It's a fascinating study.

They found that we have two ancestors who signed the Declaration of Independence and one of those was also in the Continental Congress before our independence.  His son signed the Constitution.

And even before that, one of mama's ancestors was Lord Mayor of London back in the 1600's. 

Another was a very famous and deadly gunslinger in the Old West who was eventually hung for his crimes. 

Several fought in the War Between the States, on both sides. Truly brother against brother.

We have Cherokee ancestors who survived the Trail of Tears--for the high cheekbones, thank you very much.  One of them was the Chief of the Oklahoma Cherokees for years.  

One of the women was suspected of murdering her second and third husbands for their money--and there was a lot of it.  It seems her first husband was the love of her life and she was distraught and depressed to have lost him too early.  Then she went into business for herself, so to speak. 

Another of the women was a gold digger who kept their daughter away from her father except by extortion. She demanded money and property from him and got it.  He kidnapped the daughter--my great grandmother--and tried to get his property back with no luck. He caved and gave her back, knowing that he couldn't care for young girl properly.  I guess that was the only way women could get "child support" back in the day. 

There's another who did some time in Leavenworth for bootlegging back during Prohibition. 

There were many more, too many to list as the ads say, including one who has a university named after him and another who was the first female governor of Texas.

If you continue to research, you'll be amazed at that you'll find.  It's wonderful to know where you came from. Be prepared for the bad as well as the good but then, sometimes the bad is much more fun to discover.

Phylis419
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Eventually, I'm going to create a book. The family is extremely big but it's worth it in the end. I will create a book for my husband and would like to create one for my mother as well. :-D

Quoting amonkeymom:

My mom was adopted so I totally understand wanting to know more and I think it's great that you've been able to find out so much information about your own family!

Are you putting all of your newfound knowledge down on paper?  When we did find my mom's birth family, my cousin handed us each a book she had made with all of the family history in it.  Wow, we learned a lot!  :)

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM

My fathers side has books and books writen about them and even had the family tree put into book form, I love reading the stories about those that came before me. We are working on my mothers side but have hits some hiccups beacuse of adoptions and others changing their names many many times. My husband has started on his side too but we have hit that wall were we have to change our reasearch from cenus recors to property records and its made some things very hard to find. 

Phylis419
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

completely understandable ... the secret to all of it is patience and endurance ... that which you need to find you will find. keep me posted to your search and what you find ...

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Have you ever heard of the ancestry test you can do on 23andme.com? It gives you fun ancestry insight. I want to do it one day for more in depth medical reasons but I'm curious about what it would say about my ancestry. I used to do a lot of ancestry searching and just never had time after awhile. Welcome to the group by the way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)