Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do Your Little Ones Get A Allowance?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

My sons grandmother recently starterd giving them a allowance for helping her out around the house and there good grades in school when they get report cards. She said she wanted to show them that if they work hard then they can have something to show for it which I completley agree. Do your kids get a allowance ?

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

yes it isnt tied into tasks around household though.  We use it to teach budgeting.  She can earn more by doing extra tasks around house.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

They do not.  We may start when they get old enough to help with extras around the house, but they are 6.5 and younger.

WhyPiggy
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

The same with us. They get a small allowance to learn how to better manage money but chores are chores. But, like frndlyfn, they can earn extra by doing different things.

Quoting frndlyfn:

yes it isnt tied into tasks around household though.  We use it to teach budgeting.  She can earn more by doing extra tasks around house.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM
When they clean their rooms they do.
RADmomma
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM
My dd has a chore chart. If she does her chores she gets an allowance. She has things that she does around the house that are just because she lives there & needs to contribute.

She saves her $ for big things. She just cashed in $100 of her allowance for a new bike. She is now saving her allowance for spending $ at Disney next year. We have been doing this since before she was 4.

For us this works great!!
nabeaud
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM

In our house our kids (ages 5 and 8) are expected to contribute to the upkeep of the house.  Keeping their rooms clean, toys picked up and few small other chores (age appropriate of course) teach responsibility and for them to respect what is theirs.  They do not get paid for those things.  When they want to earn money, they have EXTRA chores that earn them money, things like cleaning out the backseat of the car, vacuuming in the living room, pulling weeds in the garden etc.  All these we've assigned a dollar value to and they can pick which they want to do in addition to their normal chores.  These they can do for spending money.

indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM

For good grades... Not for chores

Hadadat
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Yes. We just started this month. My son is 7 1/2, in the second grade, and gets a fixed amount each Friday. He gets $2. He's responsible for putting it away and we won't buy anything for him outside of necessities because now that he's earning an allowance, he can spend it or save it as he pleases. If he wants a toy, he can buy it. If he wants a new comic book, he's got the money to do so now. It's not tied to grades or school work or chores. It's just a way to teach him that nothing comes free and that even asking for candy costs $$$ so he can't keep asking. He does have chores but those get done with or without money.

Indigomommie
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM
This is definitely a hard one. My mother always gives my oldest 2 money for helping her around the house. I did not give my children an allowance, but recently I stated sort-of an allowance. Each of my children have a container with their names on it. They each receive a quarter every time I see them picking up after their self or when they do a chore. My 6 year old Kylie, has serve ADHD, so when I see her correcting her own behavior I also give her a quarter.
cleigh717
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM

no. i got an allowance and i dont see how i was better for it, personally. i wont be giving my kids an allowance bc i want them to wait until they r in the earning role to focus on things like that. they shouldnt be compensated for contributing to the family. i want them to focus on building skills for adulthood. i will gladly pay for extracurriculars and needs and maybe a few wants but not an allowance. at 1st gradem i was getting $2 and by high school, i decided to save and use my lunch money on friivilous things. thats a bit early to give into keeping up with the jones. but i was bad. i saw the mistakes my mom was making as a parent, and took advantage when i could but nevr said anything. maybe not all kids are as devious as i was.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)