Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does it bother you for your kids to hear or say "Oh my God?"

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 62 Replies
1 mom liked this

Note to the Clueless People Who Say ‘Oh My G-d’ in Front of My Kids

by Jenny Erikson 

I know (I hope!) that if you say “oh my G-d” in front of my kids, you’re not intending to offend me, so I thought I’d drop you a note to let you know how much I’d appreciate it if you kept that phrase to yourself.

It has become such common vernacular that you’re probably unaware that there are still fuddy-duddies like me that consider it to be blasphemous. Now I’m all for equal rights and freedom of religion and all that jazz, but I’m also for not belittling anyone else’s faith, which is exactly what happens when people call on the Lord’s name in vain -- even unintentionally.

This is one of those tricky ones -- not obviously bad like that F-bomb, and not as innocuous as “fiddlesticks,” and then of course you throw in the religious aspect of it and all of a sudden you have yourself a contentious issue.

I just wanted to let y’all know that every time you say “Oh my G-d” in front of my kids, a mini internal battle takes place in my head. The do I say something or not battle.

If someone says a four-letter word in front of my kids, the response is usually a hand clapped over their own mouth with a rushed, “I’m so sorry -- I forgot she was there!” or “I’m sorry -- it just slipped out!”

But it’s hard when someone says something they don’t realize is offensive to you. How do you handle it? Do you let it slide? Do you mention it right away? Will they think you’re a prude? Will you care? What if you slip up and say it sometimes -- will you be a hypocrite if you ask others not to?

Like anything in parenting, there isn’t an easy answer in my book. Because I view the flippant invoking of God’s name as blaspheme, I want to do the right thing by Him. At the same time, I don’t want to come off as a high-and-mighty righteous biotch either. I don’t feel like God put me on the planet to go around correcting everyone. Then again -- I don’t want my kids to think this isn’t a big deal.

See? Battle in my brain.

So in the end, I talk to my kids about why we don’t say it unless we really mean it, and also that not everyone believes the way that we do. I tell them everyone has different ideas about life and spirituality, and very rarely do people actually intend to be offensive. And that it’s more than ok to say to someone, “Hey, do you mind saying ‘oh my gosh’ instead of the other one around me? It makes me feel uncomfortable.”

In that spirit, this is to all the people that say “oh my G-d” around my kids: Would you mind saying “oh my gosh” instead? I’d really appreciate it.

How do you view the phrase “oh my G-d”? Is it rude or just slang? Do you care if your kids hear or say it?

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this
It doesn't bother me if people say it. I say it too.
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM
5 moms liked this

I REALLY don't like it. I have a very close relationship with my God, and ut hurts my feelings that others can't respect that. It's amazing how many people don't realize it's taking the lords name in vain even in church setting etc. I would not be who I am or where I am in life with out the help of my Heavenly Father, so this to me is a huge swear word.

heather77g
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM
4 moms liked this

I would rather they dont. So yes I do not like it, especially if they say it repeatedly.  I have my kids to say Oh My Goodness or Gosh

ZsMommy
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

We try to say Oh my gosh...If I type it on here I'll use OMgosh

momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I dont want my kids hearing it or saying it

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Egh... It's a phrase. Nothing more, nothing less. I say it, but my son says "oh my gosh!" lol I was raised in a Baptist family and even they say it as well - even my bible thumping aunt that chews me apart for not believing in god.

TatyBear
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I say and so do my kids. Not an issue here at all.

mom_4_God
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

If one of our children were to say something like“Oh my God, I love your new shirt!” this has emptied God’s name of significance and treated God as a triviality. This is something the child would be reprimanded for.

I know some will say, that “Words are just words. Don't hung up on mere words.” But words are very powerful. And just as it’s “from the fullness of the heart that the mouth speaks,” our words then also return back to our ears and inform the heart. Every word that we speak changes us. Do not underestimate the power of your words.

deadlights86
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Eh my kids don't know anything about god. If they want to worship him when they're older that's fine do oh my god is just a phrase here.
katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM
We don't say it in my house. We say oh my gosh. My kids will say OMG. Sometimes we say aww man. But never oh my g--.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)