Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Keeping up with EVERYTHING!

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and forums in general but am feeling the need for serious practical advice and support from other Mom's who've been where I am or still are:

We have a beautiful 4.5 year old daughter and I'm due in December with our second child.  I knew I would want to be a sahm so I waited to have kids and get married as I always wanted a career.  I have no regrets BUT I find myself failing miserably way to often when it comes to the housewife duties.  It's amazing to me that I could have such a successful career in corporate america yet thought of getting dinner on the table even just 5 nights a week is just beyond me not to mention keeping my house clean!!  Now, with baby number two on the way I feel completely overwhelmed.  How do you all do it ALL??!!  

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
First realize that a happy family does not have to have a spotless home. Your kids are little only once. The dishes will still be there when play time is over.

Second... Invest in a crock pot! Make up dinners ahead of time & freeze. Meal plan & make sure your meals are not too fancy. Save those recipes for days when you actually have time.

Third... Incorporate your child into your chores & cooking. It's a way to spend time together, teach a good life skill & get things accomplished.

Things like putting the clothes in the dryer... Use that time to teach counting, colors... Folding clothes can teach matching, counting, hand & eye coordination. Trips to the grocery store, let her pick a new fruit or veggie to try. Have her help prepare it. Put alphabet magnets on the fridge, spell words while cooking. Give her some play dough while you cook... Let her make her own play dough meals... Etc.

I'm a homeschooling sahm of 2. It's a learning process for all of us. It takes time but I wouldn't have it any other way.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I agree.  I think a schedule would also help you feel more centered in the stay at home role.  I am presuming in the corporate world you had deadlines or a way to do certain things.  Bring that experience over into home life to help you succeed there.

Quoting RADmomma:

First realize that a happy family does not have to have a spotless home. Your kids are little only once. The dishes will still be there when play time is over.

Second... Invest in a crock pot! Make up dinners ahead of time & freeze. Meal plan & make sure your meals are not too fancy. Save those recipes for days when you actually have time.

Third... Incorporate your child into your chores & cooking. It's a way to spend time together, teach a good life skill & get things accomplished.

Things like putting the clothes in the dryer... Use that time to teach counting, colors... Folding clothes can teach matching, counting, hand & eye coordination. Trips to the grocery store, let her pick a new fruit or veggie to try. Have her help prepare it. Put alphabet magnets on the fridge, spell words while cooking. Give her some play dough while you cook... Let her make her own play dough meals... Etc.

I'm a homeschooling sahm of 2. It's a learning process for all of us. It takes time but I wouldn't have it any other way.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Welcome to Cafemom! It took me quite a while to feel organized as well. I now have 3 kids and I basically have to be organized or things would always be a disaster. The best thing I can say to do is tons of prepping for everything! I plan my meals weekly. I sit down with hubby for 10 minutes or we talk on the phone & I plan the meals for each day. Then I can shop according to the list & there is no guessing about what is for dinner. This is a huge part of making life easier! Then I try to plan ahead by making double portions some nights to have leftovers for dinner or lunch the next day. Also plan a time of your day for every chore you need to do then it just becomes a habit (after dinner clean the table and vacuum etc). I use dry erase boards to write down what deeper cleaning chores need done for the week and then I have a list for daily chores. I try to do 1-2 loads of laundry every day or every other day. Everything has a place and I keep on my kids from a young age to have them clean up after themselves. Kids are totally capable of getting into this habit with you. I have a 10 year old, a 3.5 year old, and a 2 year old. My 3.5 year old and 2 year I have gotten to clean up after themselves to the point that I don't really have to remind them too much. Every night for bath time they take their clothes off and put them in the laundry hamper. Then after their bath they cleanup after themselves by putting their toys away. I make it a family fun thing to do chores. We fold laundry and put it away. I just make sure everything has a place and that I pick up the floor and vacuum every day. If I make it a part of my daily routine then I eventually didn't have to think about it because it was habit. I understand your feelings! It feels very overwhelming. It's much easier to make sure you get everything done when you're working and have someone to answer to but when it's at home it's easier to not be so organized lol

RADmomma
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM
A schedule is a great idea!!

I'm a list person so I have a weekly to do list & then break it down daily. Even the everyday chores like dishes & laundry get written down. Crossing them off helps me stay focused & helps me stay motivated.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I agree.  I think a schedule would also help you feel more centered in the stay at home role.  I am presuming in the corporate world you had deadlines or a way to do certain things.  Bring that experience over into home life to help you succeed there.

Quoting RADmomma:

jconney80
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everything she said! I am a homeschooling SAHM of 3 kids. I use lots of chore and cooking time to spend time with my kids and teach. Its really the best parts of our days!

Quoting RADmomma:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have lists all over the place as well as calendars to mark down everyones' dr appts or events for school.  Focus is the name of the game for when we have children, eh?  My dd is 7 and since she has been about 3 or 4 she loves to do certain household tasks with us or on her own.  She is transitioning into doing some things by herself w/o us watching.

Quoting RADmomma:

A schedule is a great idea!!

I'm a list person so I have a weekly to do list & then break it down daily. Even the everyday chores like dishes & laundry get written down. Crossing them off helps me stay focused & helps me stay motivated.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting RADmomma:

RADmomma
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM
My dd is 6. We started having her do her chores around the house at 3. Now it's just routine. I don't have to tell her to feed the dog. She knows that before we sit to eat she has to give her dog some food! She also gets upset if I try to do one of her jobs. She takes pride in helping around the house. We do give an allowance for some specific jobs which helps her learn the value of money as well.

Quoting frndlyfn:I have lists all over the place as well as calendars to mark down everyones' dr appts or events for school.  Focus is the name of the game for when we have children, eh?  My dd is 7 and since she has been about 3 or 4 she loves to do certain household tasks with us or on her own.  She is transitioning into doing some things by herself w/o us watching.Quoting RADmomma:A schedule is a great idea!!

Quoting frndlyfn:I agree.  I think a schedule would also help you feel more centered in the stay at home role.  I am presuming in the corporate world you had deadlines or a way to do certain things.  Bring that experience over into home life to help you succeed there.Quoting RADmomma:First realize that a happy family does not have to have a spotless home. Your kids are little only once. The dishes will still be there when play time is over.

LilTymomma
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Welcome!!I have the same issue. Cooking ugh!! Im still in kid #1 he is 2 and when he naps I clean up. divide chores in 3 days instead of 1. Clean after oursleves and hubby makes the meal menu so I just have to cook it. I don't know how to cook, he does.....(not ashame). Also, he helps out with the dishes. ummmm...when I was pregnant it was basically the same but I would either wear a mask when cleanng the restrooms or ask siblings and mother to help.They did not that often though. Hubby helped alot when I was pregnant.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Welcome to CafeMom,
Lists, schedules, meal planning are your new best friend :)

babesbabe77
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:37 AM

You've gotten a lot of advice already and its all good! It depends on your personality as to how you handle things.

I personally have a couple things I must do daily or they get WAY out of control and the rest? Well, the first post that said that the dishes will still be there when play time is done? Yup  that is totally true! Spend time with your kids. Love and cuddle them as much as possible! You can always clean during nap time or after bedtime!

The 2 things I do daily are dishes and laundry. For the dishes I either empty the dishwasher/put the dirties in, or just coral all the dirty dishes. Unfortunately my hubby and sometimes daughter are "allergic" to that machine and refuse to open it and put dirty dishes in! I think they are afraid they'll find it full of clean ones and the "have to" empty it!

For laundry, I "touch" it once a day. I either put a load in, switch it to the dryer, fold etc. It works like this:

Day 1- Sort and start a load (whatever I have most of)

Day 2-Switch Day 1 to dryer and start the next load

Day 3- Switch the washer stuff to the dryer and fold the stuff from the dryer. Start new load if there is enough

Day 4-Switch load to dryer, fold what's dry, start new load etc.

I never have a problem with smelly laundry as long as I touch it once a day. Some days I need to do more because we need certain clothes, are going out of town etc, Some days there isn't a full load of anything so mothing new gets started. That just changes the number of steps I have to do that day. And while I am down in the basement I will grab whatever meat out of the deep freezer that needs to thaw for dinner.

Both my daily chores get done right after breakfast each morning. Anything else happens whever I have time during the day. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)