Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It takes a village

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

We have a beautiful 4.5 yo and a second on the way.  My husband and I do not live near our familys but we do have lots of old friends where we currently live.  The problem is that many of our friends do not have children and many are not married so as our lives become more and more hectic and we are about to add a new little one, I'm feeling the need to have folks around us that can and are willing to really help out!  It's really hard to do this by ourselves and I've felt like we were on an island now for a long time.  As we get ready to bring number 2 into our family I really need some support and help and as I look for it in my closest friends of many years I'm so very disappointed and sad that they have no desire to be involved in any way.  I get that it's our choice to have a family and not anyone elses responsibility to help us raise them and I've been very careful not to ask for much if anything at all.  I just asked my friend of many years and incidentally my daughters god mother if she would be available when we go to the hospital to have the baby to be with my daughter.  The response I got was basically no, but with some jibber jabber about how she might be on vacation or work might be busy or blah, blah, blah...I guess I just hoped for a little more from her especially as I've never asked anything from her.  I thought that such a huge event for all of us would warrent a little more willingness.  HELP!  I know there are many other parents out there who are going it without families to help.  How do you do it?  How did you deal with your friends unwillingness to help?

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I would start looking for family events to go to and meet new people who are in the same life cycle you are.  It is sad that a god parent would not make the effort to help and i would rethink that arrangement.  We have only one dd and family is no where near us.  We are lucky that my guy's ex and dd's brothers will help if we really need help.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM

So sorry,
I do agree with this though ;)

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would start looking for family events to go to and meet new people who are in the same life cycle you are.  It is sad that a god parent would not make the effort to help and i would rethink that arrangement.  We have only one dd and family is no where near us.  We are lucky that my guy's ex and dd's brothers will help if we really need help.

alexis_06
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM

awww, that really sucks :(   i guess if if didnt have help...i'd look for a good babysitter to help out when needed..

mysticatgal
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:27 AM
That's really hard to deal with. Try finding a moms group in your area. Sometimes you need to meet people with children because those without just never understand.
bahamamama61
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Hopefully, they'll come around:) ((Hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)