Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Views on Melatonin???

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 44 Replies
My son is 3 will be 4 in march and he has a hard time staying alseep at night. We've tried almost everything. If he gets up in the middle of the night to go potty he stays awake for at least 2 hours. I work 2 jobs and I'm sooo tired idk what to do anymore. I've had friends tell me to put him on melatonin but idk if that's the right choice even though its "drug free." I have an appointment with his doctor next Tuesday but I'm curious if anyone likes or dislike this sleeping pill? Thanks in advance:)
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-bear86
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
i thought about putting dd on it, but a friend of mine used it on her dd and now she cant sleep without it , i wouldnt want dd getting dependent on it
Shay.Marie24
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Thank you. I wouldn't want that either. I've researched on line about it and what I've read doesn't sound good. I was just looking for advice from anyone who has/does used it. I don't want to mess up my little man but I don't want him not getting enough sleep either. On average he sleeps maybe 41/2 to 5 hours with no nap during the day. I've tried putting him to bed at 8 and I've tried at 10. I hope he breaks from it soon.

Quoting momma-bear86:

i thought about putting dd on it, but a friend of mine used it on her dd and now she cant sleep without it , i wouldnt want dd getting dependent on it

momma-bear86
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
there are kids sleepy time tea, ive tried it with dd she just doesnt like it, but you could try that also

Quoting Shay.Marie24:

Thank you. I wouldn't want that either. I've researched on line about it and what I've read doesn't sound good. I was just looking for advice from anyone who has/does used it. I don't want to mess up my little man but I don't want him not getting enough sleep either. On average he sleeps maybe 41/2 to 5 hours with no nap during the day. I've tried putting him to bed at 8 and I've tried at 10. I hope he breaks from it soon.

Quoting momma-bear86:

goddiddlyumshis
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Didn't work for my 5yr old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strongforthem
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
If he has low melatonin naturally, it may help. Make sure you have a doctor recommendation first.
mrjjmt
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I tried it with my son once and it helped him fall asleep but then he got up earlier then usual.
Shay.Marie24
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Ya I'm going to talk with his doctor first for sure. I wouldn't want to harm my baby boy. I just wish I knew away to help get him back to sleep.

Quoting strongforthem:

If he has low melatonin naturally, it may help. Make sure you have a doctor recommendation first.

goldpandora
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Melatonin is a hormone so it's not 'drug free'. I would not put my child on it unless it were prescribed by a doctor. There's a reason it's prescription-only in most of Europe.

Having said that, have you tried not giving him any fluids after a certain time in the evening to try to stop him wanting to pee during the night?

Your doctor might have othe ideas - maybe sleep apnea?

Good luck in finding a solution that suits you.

Josie_P
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I would not do that. 

Shay.Marie24
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM
So do u think its just a phase? I'm just worried because I want him to beable to function mentally during the day and I'm affraid he isn't getting enough sleep to do that properly. not that he has any problems but does get irritated around 6 (showing he's tired) but I keep him awake as long as I can until about 9 (coloring, movie, baking with mama)

Quoting mrjjmt:

I tried it with my son once and it helped him fall asleep but then he got up earlier then usual.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN