Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How to get a GOOD NANNY!!!???

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 15 Replies

Well I live in Hoboken NJ, but since a just moved from Europe i don't know anyone. I have a 5 month old baby and i would love to have some one to help me some times.. My husband is a pilot so he is away for most of the time, so not much help comes from him. and since i do everything alone at home and take care of my little one i would really like a few hours to clean without stressing, take a shower for more then 2 minutes, read a book for 1 hour.. You are moms.. You know what i mean. Just need some one some times. Not always. But the big question is: HOW DO I FIND SOME ONE GOOD,THAT I CAN TRUST AND WHAT DO NANNY DO? What is included in the job? PLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEEEE HELP ME! :) I don't know where to start. Thank you :)

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Josie_P
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Google agencies. That's what I did. Read the reviews of the agencies, go in person if you can. If you find a prospective nanny, double check her references, background checks, give her a trial week (or couple of days) to see if she's a good fit. We did all of this with our nanny and she's been with us a year! She even relocated with us when we had to move!

Nannies are usually only responsible for caring for the child, age appropriate activities, even working in-tandem with the mum. Some nannies do light housekeeping, like putting dishes in the dishwasher, keeping the child's room clean, maybe even make dinner. But that's something you'd have to work out with the nanny :)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Can you ask around where you live?

Ila25
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Thank you.. I appreciate it. I will do so.. :) have a nice weekend. :)

Quoting Josie_P:

Google agencies. That's what I did. Read the reviews of the agencies, go in person if you can. If you find a prospective nanny, double check her references, background checks, give her a trial week (or couple of days) to see if she's a good fit. We did all of this with our nanny and she's been with us a year! She even relocated with us when we had to move!

Nannies are usually only responsible for caring for the child, age appropriate activities, even working in-tandem with the mum. Some nannies do light housekeeping, like putting dishes in the dishwasher, keeping the child's room clean, maybe even make dinner. But that's something you'd have to work out with the nanny :)

Ila25
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM
That's the problem.. I don't know anyone.. I have no friends or family here.. Don't know where to start..

Quoting hugss:

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Google for your area,
Whenever you go somewhere .. market, library ask the people that work there.  Look in the paper too :)

Quoting Ila25:

That's the problem.. I don't know anyone.. I have no friends or family here.. Don't know where to start..

Quoting hugss:

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
you could try a site like care.com i have never used them but i see their commercial all the time. i think you have to pay a membership fee, but i "believe" everyone on their site must have background checks etc done. and if u find someone u do like on there you can always double and cross check references, background etc. sorry i have no real experience with this. i just know i see their commercial alot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea. I'm a sahm of 2. Hubby works 60+ hours a week. I'd love an uninterrupted shower.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I would go through an agency so you can find someone who has had a background check etc! Other than that I'm clueless about finding a nanny. Good luck! 

matofour
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM
In that part of Nj there are a tons of nannies.
Are you looking for a full time sitter, live in sitter,
Or the occasional helper.
Nanny is usually full time. I would figure out what you want, for a full time nanny I would go through and agency.
Part time, occasional sitter, I would go through word of mouth, neighbors, etc.
Amiehart62
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

this is going to be an odd suggestion but go to your local church nursery on a sunday service...you might be surprised

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN