Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

babyBehaveBad

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 6 Replies

hello there:

Not sure if I asked u moms before or not.  Anyway, ask again.  My baby boy, 2yrs old.  When he wants to do sth I consider bad, and  I dont let him do it, he would just scream, cry, even throw things around. I just dont let him do it.  If my husband is not at home, my inlaws would just come to let him do it or give him something else he likes, scolding me let him cry like that.  but I think if  I let him do it because he cries loud, then next time he would cry louder for whatever he wants, right? I should just be strong, let him know what's right and what's wrong.  So I should just let him cry, he would stop when he see crying is not use. 

I dont know it's my way right or my inlaws's way right.  What would u do when your baby does it?

Thanks.

Jun

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JaelynnsMommy94
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I think you're way is right, you are the parent. Don't give in to what he's crying for. Maybe, just as your in-laws may do, just find something else you find more appropriate for him. Hope this helps. Xoxo

Quoting gerMom:

hello there:

Not sure if I asked u moms before or not.  Anyway, ask again.  My baby boy, 2yrs old.  When he wants to do sth I consider bad, and  I dont let him do it, he would just scream, cry, even throw things around. I just dont let him do it.  If my husband is not at home, my inlaws would just come to let him do it or give him something else he likes, scolding me let him cry like that.  but I think if  I let him do it because he cries loud, then next time he would cry louder for whatever he wants, right? I should just be strong, let him know what's right and what's wrong.  So I should just let him cry, he would stop when he see crying is not use. 

I dont know it's my way right or my inlaws's way right.  What would u do when your baby does it?

Thanks.

Jun

Nemo-nut
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM

You are the parent and you (and your husband) are in charge of your child, not your in-laws.  You make the rules.  You are right, that if he gets his way sometimes it will make it wors ethe next time because he is getting mixed signals.  You can speak up clamly and firmly to your in-laws that this is how your husband and you have decided to handle tantrums and that if it bothers them, they should step out of the room, outside, etc. until the tantrum is finished.  There is nothing wrong with trying to distract him out of the tantrum, but not by giving him something...ask him to help you get  something for grandma and grandpa out of the kitchen, or ask him to help you clean up by singing together, etc.  If distraction doesn't work, stick to your rules.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM
For a 2 year old I put more emphasis on redirecting and then if that doesn't work I let them cry until they accept it. I try to teach the right way to do things so that they can actually learn from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

redirection is good when it works.  If the grandparents are distracting him with a different item than what was not allowed, let them.   Crying is still one of the forms of communication especially when the child feel frustrated.  Do you acknowledge what he is feeling?  

LilTymomma
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I have a 2 year old who does the same thing!! totally normal. Things that can help out: makes sure he knows we don't notice the tantrum or don't give him an audience...he'll get over it. or else he will cry until you give him what he wants and will know thats how he gets it trhe next time. Do not give up or give in. Make sure you tell who ever takes care of him the things he is not allowed to do. Enforce the same rules all the time. Its a challenge!!! its tough but we're working on it. 

BTW when someone tell;s you "how to raise your child" just say thank you for the tip I'll keep it in mind or Ill consider it or if applies I'll ask my son's dr. Believe it or not pediatricians  have tips too to discipline your child. 

gerMom
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Thanks all for the quick reply.  My husband is on trip out now, I sent him mssg.  He's on the same side of me, and he sent his mom mssg too.  We'll see what will happen next time.  I will be strong, not giving in even he cries, kicks..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)