Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How often and how much do you feed your dog?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 67 Replies
I'm just curious how often or how much do you feed your dog? What kind of food do you give them? Do you leave dry food out all day? How often do you give them wet food? What kind of dog do you have?

I have 2 dogs. A 2 year old maltese peckingnese and a 4 month old pug.

My husband leaves dry food out all day. He gives them 3 things of Cesar wet food/day (they each eat 1/2 of it).

My pug sometimes has wet/loose stool. So I wonder of he is getting too much food or too much wet food. No vomiting. No signs of worms in his stool. He's vaccinated and kept indoors except for our front yard a few times a day. My maltese is fine.

Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4everJs
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this

My babies!

I swore I would never refer to my dogs as my babies...but they are too sweet. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM
We have a 15 lb carin terrier. She gets 1 cup of victor dry food once a day. No wet food.
greenlove2013
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM
We fed our dogs dry food in the morning, if they didnt eat it all, it sat there all day. They ate it before dinner. Dinner was at 6 and they got wet food. So my dogs got food twice a day. If they didnt eat all the dinner, we picked it up so they didnt poop in the house.
4everJs
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Thank you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymama2D
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a German Shepherd. She eats Blue Buffalo Wilderness(dry) and gets fed 2x a day, 2 cups each time. She generally eats it pretty soon after we give it to her. No wet food.
It sounds like they might be getting a bit too much. How much do they weigh and how many cups total?
If you offer a high quality, grain free food you generally feed them less.
pregnantmama105
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM

my auntie has like a black retirever type dog. and she feeds him twice a day in the am just dry and in the pm dry and wet. (dry is like a cup or scoop of dry food. and at night its just those little cans.) plus shes allowed at one treat a day.... my auntie also has to small dogs who get the wet food I believe twice a day

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I have a 9 month old Lab. Her food has increased as she is getting bigger. I feed her Purina puppy chow, the dry stuff. I don't give her the wetfood, none of my dogs ever got wet food. I did give her some wetfood when she was first brought home at 8 weeks old to make it a little softer for her on her tiny teeth. She gets fed twice a day - breakfast and dinner. She gets one and half cups at both feedings. I don't leave it out all day for here to munch on. Since it is colder weather, she comes in so her water is cut off at 7pm and I let her potty right before we go to bed at 9:30.

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I have a 65 pound boxer mix he gets a cup of dry In the morning and a cup of dry at night. He doesn't eat it all at first though he likes to take breaks while eating lol his tummy can't handle wet food at all though
krista778
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I have a 10 year old Pug and he gets one cup of food 2x a day. You have to be cqareful with Pugs, they will eat a lot and get FAT and unhealthy, they have poor kidney function so them getting fat isn't good for their kidneys or anything else

The 3 year old Weimaraner gets one cup 3x a day

We feed them ACANA food, no wet food

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Wet food will cause loose stool. My dog gets dry only, about 1 cup twice a day. If he doesn't eat it all it just sits out for him. He is a border collie crossed with an aussie!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)