Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Please comment

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm a mother of one boy who's 7. working and currently enrolled in college.This week I'm doing an essay on after school programs and I'd like to get opinions from other mothers on how you feel about them. Pretaining to the convenience of hours and does it have a positive affect on your child. Thanks in advance everyone

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Tootiex3
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I'm a SAHM, so we don't use after school programs. When I was a child however I went from school to day care and stayed there till about 5:30. Once I turned 12, I was a latch let let. I kind of wish I would of had something to do after school or help with homework. By the time my Mom got home in the evenings, after 6, she had little time and patience to help with my work. When I was in Day Care I had help from either the workers or older kids. If I were to return to the workforce, I would consider utilizing and after school program, to save on cost.
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I may need to use the after school daycare next semester, depending on the times of my classes.  Also, the elementary school here has a KEYS program...and I forget what it stands for lol...but it's after school activities that are 1-2 days a week for 6 weeks for $15.  School ends at 3:30, and on the days they do it, parents need to pick them up around 4:40.  They have all sorts of activities like: quilting, track, dodgeball, legos, soccer, news broadcasting.

It's a lot of fun for them and a great alternative for when they don't want to join an actual sports team (or when you're too broke for them)

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

There is such a broad spectrum of after school programs and how they are used to say.  I used to work in one when I was in college.  One boy came before and after.  He was in school from 6am to 6pm in 1st grade.  (his parents didnt work that much, they just liked going to the gym after work together and would run errands as well.)  He was clingy, cried easily and always needed one on one attention or he would be destructive.  I dont care how good the program is, its not good for a child to be in care 12 hours a day and then go to bed an hour after getting home.  The parents also had a nanny on the weekends so their son didnt infringe on their social life.  

Other times parents just needed a half hour to an hour after school and would be home with plenty of time to bond with mom/dad.  

Reina13
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Hi! Welcome to the group. Good luck with your research. My son is not involved in an afterschool program so I really cannot offere an opinion.

RADmomma
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I'm a homeschooling sahm. Obviously this doesn't apply to me. But I hope you get some good answers!
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Welcome to cafemom. Good luck on your essay. I'm no help as my son isn't school age yet. 

livingforhim06
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM
So is it fair to say that you think the extensive time spent in after school programs takes away from bonding time with parent and child?

Quoting NDADanceMom:

There is such a broad spectrum of after school programs and how they are used to say.  I used to work in one when I was in college.  One boy came before and after.  He was in school from 6am to 6pm in 1st grade.  (his parents didnt work that much, they just liked going to the gym after work together and would run errands as well.)  He was clingy, cried easily and always needed one on one attention or he would be destructive.  I dont care how good the program is, its not good for a child to be in care 12 hours a day and then go to bed an hour after getting home.  The parents also had a nanny on the weekends so their son didnt infringe on their social life.  

Other times parents just needed a half hour to an hour after school and would be home with plenty of time to bond with mom/dad.  

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM
No. Its a chicken and egg thing. Do you put your child in daycare all the time because you never bonded and don't concern yourself with the needs of the child or do you put your child in someone else's care out of need and then lose that bond?
Whatever the case i find the child always wants more time with mom/dad but its the parents that have other priorities.

Quoting livingforhim06:

So is it fair to say that you think the extensive time spent in after school programs takes away from bonding time with parent and child?

Quoting NDADanceMom:

jconney80
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Hi welcome to the group! I don't use after school care because my kids homeschool. My daughter used to go to it when she was in kindergarten at a private school and I loved it there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)