Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I don't understand moms who....

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this
Never take a break from their kids. Mine have been spending the night with grandparents since they were a few months old. They have gone to my parents' for a week at a time. DH and I try to habe a date one time every 1-2 months.
Now, we are blessed to have my MIL live in the same town and want to watch them (oftentimes she calls to invite them). My parents live 1 1/2 hours away, but they are still involved. And I have let them go to friends' houses (not overnight yet, but that has to do with bedwetting issues). I need that time to recharge. DH and I need the time to reconnect. I can understand not having people to watch them or not being able to afford a sitter. Most of our dates are free or very cheap, lol. That's a legitimate excuse. But not letting them go and/or feeling guilty for getting a small break isn't healthy, IMHO. I have one friend who got out for a couple of hours and whose husband was calling her to come home. she wrote on Facebook later that evening that she felt guilty for having left in the first place. I have another friend whose husband and she haven't had a date in over a year. and I know for a fact that she has friends and family around who would watch the kids. I just don't get it. my kids and I need a break from each other now and then to maintain our sanity lol.
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emeraldmama7
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I don't get out that often and that's ok with me. Its not like I'm afraid to be away from my children but I do miss them if I'm away from them for more than a few hours. I was in the hospital for 3 days with my last birth and I was all tears by the last day. I enjoy my time alone with hubby and some solitude once in a while.... but I do miss my kids when I am gone too long. I've also had two kids who would have a melt down when I was gone- from infancy through two- and i just stayed home to spare the baby and the sitter the stress.
Now some of my kids are old enough to want to sleep over at friend's houses and I'm just fine with that too.

Jessa, mama to:

Alyssa(12), Autumn(11), Mariah(10), Matthew(9), Blake(7), Laila(4), Athena(1), Sage(m/c 4/13), and our newest pumpkin EDD 03/23/14!!!

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids love their overnights with grandparents and aunts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I wish I could have a break!!!! :( unfortanetly we don't live near family and my kids never ask to spend the night some place, soooo yea. The kids are constantly having their friends come here. Ugh... I have even asked my kids why they dont go to their friends homes. Their reply, it's funner her.... *Sigh* I fear I will never have a break from them until they are moved out... My dd is 17 and can easily babysit over night. However she calls me when I go the store for a hr because of a noise or this and that. :( yep love it. LOL

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I don't get it either. I think kids a life outside mommy and daddy and mommy and daddy need a life outside of the kids. Fortunately my parents live close by and are very involved. My kids often call them and invited themselves over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Trust me..it's not that I don't *want* to have a date night every so often, but...it's hard when the Grands live 6 hours away in another state. Our babysitter is not available very often as she is a Senior and very very busy with school things and work. 

My girls do go to FL on breaks without us, but that is only a couple of times per year. They don't have any friends that I would allow them to sleep over with yet.. I don't know their friends' families well enough yet. 

Of course, it doesn't bother me that much as I'm a self proclaimed hermit. I'm happier sitting on my recliner with a book and a cup of coffee than going out somewhere..... Dh is as well. We're not into clubs, etc... we went out the other night on a date- it consisted of dinner at a Thai place that we like, a trip to the Bottle shop to just look around, and a trip to Walmart... We're boring, can you tell? LOL 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Tatertot912
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I only have one and he's only 1 but this is how I feel and probably will continue to feel.

Quoting Emeraldmama7:

I don't get out that often and that's ok with me. Its not like I'm afraid to be away from my children but I do miss them if I'm away from them for more than a few hours. I was in the hospital for 3 days with my last birth and I was all tears by the last day. I enjoy my time alone with hubby and some solitude once in a while.... but I do miss my kids when I am gone too long. I've also had two kids who would have a melt down when I was gone- from infancy through two- and i just stayed home to spare the baby and the sitter the stress.

Now some of my kids are old enough to want to sleep over at friend's houses and I'm just fine with that too.

Gothicgypsy3
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM

We try to have a date night about once a month so the kids spend time with family those nights. And I try to get some "me" time during the day sometimes so the kids go on play dates and such. Its a nice break for me and it reduces the seperation axiety that can sometimes happen when they start school. It makes life so much easier for all of us.

waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

For us it is the issue of finding someone that can handle all of our kids. My husband and I went away this weekend and left my 24 year old step daughter and her friend in charge. When we got back home, the electricity was out, we had 2 fallen trees, the wind was blowing, the house was shaking and groaning, the kids were crying and the adults looked very frazzled. Yeah I then remembered why we didn't leave the kids very often, lol.

RADmomma
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM
We haven't had a date in over a year. My youngest is 10 months. We lived over 3 hours away from family until just a few weeks ago so hopefully now that my parents are close well manage a date once & a while.
ColieO
by I Rock on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I love having family within 10 minutes. I love breaks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)