Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dehydration help *update*

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM
  • 19 Replies
I'm 14 weeks pregnant and was told that I'm getting pretty bad headaches cause I'm dehydrated. No matter how much I drink I don't feel any better. I have been having bad dizzy spells too and the nurse said its because of dehydration. I haven't dealt with this a lot and don't know what else to do. I have a vitamin D level done on Thursday at its at 20. I don't know if that plays a part of this or not.

Update
Ladies I haven't been put on any vitamins to help this. I have had a headache for 3 days now and it's not blood pressure. I check it whenever I feel bad. I work at a doctors office and the RN there keeps an eye on me. I'm trying to drink more which is quite hard. I do feel horrible. I've been so sick today. Nausea, headache, dizzy, congested! I hardly ever go to the bathroom. It's maybe 2-4 times a day. I am concerned. I also ask the nurse about me dropping weight constantly. She said all this isn't concerning right now. She said just eat better and hopefully things will be better by my appointment on the 18th.
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTo2SillyBoys
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Please help. Any advice is appreciated!
RADmomma
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM
What & how much are you drinking?

Does the skin on the back of your hand bounce back quickly when pinched ?

Try munching on ice... That adds fluid.

You can also look into taking magnesium for headaches. I'm a migraine sufferer. I took 400 mgs of magnesium while pregnant because my every day migraine meds aren't safe for pregnancy,
RADmomma
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Watch your salt intakes a well.
NewMamaBoo
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I have a friend who had to get shots of fluid in an iv. They say when you're dehydrated you usually don't even feel thirsty. Maybe give it a few days and ask your doc for suggestions? 

LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Keep track of how much you are drinking. You might be drinking less than you thought. Have you been seen by your doctor of a nurse? How does she know its dehydration?
MomTo2SillyBoys
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I spoke with the nurse today over the phone and she said that's what it sounds like. I'm drinking the 32 oz Gatorade bottles full of water , like 3 and powerade too. The skin on the back of my hand does bounce back quickly. I used to be on migraine meds daily but can't right now.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Eat lots of fruit like various melons.  I liked powerade as well to help with dehydration. Have they done a chem panel to make sure all your other levels are ok?

MomTo2SillyBoys
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:59 PM
They did the pregnancy testing, whatever the 7000 tubes that they draw is

Quoting frndlyfn:

Eat lots of fruit like various melons.  I liked powerade as well to help with dehydration. Have they done a chem panel to make sure all your other levels are ok?

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Gatorade zero is your friend. You need electrolytes. I had this allow during my pregnancy with DD. Don't guzzle.. just sip every few minutes, rotate with water.
Take your weight. Divide by 2 and that's how many oz of fluid you need a day. Make half of that Gatorade and half water. Take a warm bath and sip a quart of water, umm Popsicles, I don't lime popsicle though lol. If it gets worse or bad enough they will do a 12 hour IV of fluids.
MomTo2SillyBoys
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I have been at the water and powerade all day, now nausea is kicking in and I almost fainted in the shower a few minutes ago. I feel horrible and I haven't been thirsty, just forcing myself to drink.

Quoting eesmommy:

Gatorade zero is your friend. You need electrolytes. I had this allow during my pregnancy with DD. Don't guzzle.. just sip every few minutes, rotate with water.

Take your weight. Divide by 2 and that's how many oz of fluid you need a day. Make half of that Gatorade and half water. Take a warm bath and sip a quart of water, umm Popsicles, I don't lime popsicle though lol. If it gets worse or bad enough they will do a 12 hour IV of fluids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)