Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm being discriminated against because I'm pregnant

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this
And it sucks... "I would promote you right now if you weren't pregnant" that's what I heard yesterday... Everyone is telling me to not make a stink about it because I will probably just lose my job. That's not fair to any woman. Sometimes I wonder about people. Just needed to vent...
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MidwestMama55
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I am a woman, and see no problem with it. It's realistic. I'm all for women having the same pay as men, etc. etc.,  provided they do the same job, put in the same hours, are just as focused, etc. New moms do not do the same, nor should they receive "special consideration" because they are pregnant, have a newborn, whatever.

mama-grace2
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I don't want special treatment. I would be taking the same time off with or without the promotion... I don't see what the concern is??

Quoting MidwestMama55:

I am a woman, and see no problem with it. It's realistic. I'm all for women having the same pay as men, etc. etc.,  provided they do the same job, put in the same hours, are just as focused, etc. New moms do not do the same, nor should they receive "special consideration" because they are pregnant, have a newborn, whatever.

mama-grace2
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM
And how would I not be doing the same job??
MidwestMama55
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe they can't afford for the position to take time off like that? Men don't need to do that, so it's an advantage.

Quoting mama-grace2:

I don't want special treatment. I would be taking the same time off with or without the promotion... I don't see what the concern is??

Quoting MidwestMama55:

KatLee42513
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I wrote a post about this the other day. I left my job of 12 years b3cause of how unfriendly they were towards woman with families. I'm officicalky a SAHM now because I cannot find a family friendly company.
MidwestMama55
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm a mom. I've also been a boss. So i've seen both sides. A new mom rarely can devote 100% of her brainpower to her job. She is less efficient because she's checking on the baby, missing work because baby is sick, leaving early, etc. I've done it, and i've seen it. Not trying to be mean, i'm just being honest. Men or women without children (or grown children) can just be far more consistent and reliable. Your first priority will be to your child (as it should be!), not your job. Your boss knows that.

Quoting mama-grace2:

KatLee42513
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM
As someone who goes to all these job interviews & gets asked about children, I'm curious, does it ever dawn on you or any other employer that a guy may be a single parent. Not saying I disagree with you nut find it highly sexist that us woman are the ones who get the assumptions

Quoting MidwestMama55:

I'm a mom. I've also been a boss. So i've seen both sides. A new mom rarely can devote 100% of her brainpower to her job. She is less efficient because she's checking on the baby, missing work because baby is sick, leaving early, etc. I've done it, and i've seen it. Not trying to be mean, i'm just being honest. Men or women without children (or grown children) can just be far more consistent and reliable. Your first priority will be to your child (as it should be!), not your job. Your boss knows that.

Quoting mama-grace2:

MidwestMama55
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM

You bring up a very valid point. Thank you. There are men who are single parents. Here are my thoughts on that:

1. There are very few men raising children on their own compared to other situations. The vast, vast majority are women. So employers probably do not think of that as much, no. Doesn't mean any disrespect to men who do.

2. Men are able to compartmentalize much better than women. At work, they focus on work. Even with kids at home. Women tend to focus on many things at once. Multitasking is a myth. It's really doing many things, all ineffectively.

There are obviously exceptions to these rules. There are new moms who are hyperfocused at work. There are men raising children on their own who may need more flexibility. But not as a rule. I'm not anti-woman, nor anti-child. I've been a professional, been a SAHM.

Quoting KatLee42513:

As someone who goes to all these job interviews & gets asked about children, I'm curious, does it ever dawn on you or any other employer that a guy may be a single parent. Not saying I disagree with you nut find it highly sexist that us woman are the ones who get the assumptions

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Quoting mama-grace2:

Bambooflute
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM

World isn't fair,that's the truth.

mama-grace2
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
But isn't it also illegal for him to say that?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN