Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm being discriminated against because I'm pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
And it sucks... "I would promote you right now if you weren't pregnant" that's what I heard yesterday... Everyone is telling me to not make a stink about it because I will probably just lose my job. That's not fair to any woman. Sometimes I wonder about people. Just needed to vent...
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
mama-grace2
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I fully understand that lol, but does that mean we should just let it be? Not fight it? Why settle? Maybe it's my hormones but this pisses me off!

Quoting Bambooflute:

World isn't fair,that's the truth.

LNLMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM

well for one..that is highly illegal for them to say that to you. I've heard this before and considered bring on legal action because it's very discriminatory. I work in HR and really, any talks about pregnancy or kids is illegal and opens the company up to huge liability. You are  not allowed to ask an applicant if they have children or if they are married. I wish I would have made a fuss over how I was treated at my former job. 

Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this

lol life isn't fair ...  i agree with the statement.  you are pregnant & OBVIOUSLY will need to take some time off to have the baby.  sounds like they need someone who won't have to take time off. 

KatLee42513
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM
I hear that they can't technocly come right now and ask those questions but they can "trot" around the subject. I used to work for a lawyer...he didn't practice employment law so I have no idea if this is true....I get asked all the time "Do you have to sorry about daycare?" Which is a "trotting around the subject question"

Quoting LNLMommy:

well for one..that is highly illegal for them to say that to you. I've heard this before and considered bring on legal action because it's very discriminatory. I work in HR and really, any talks about pregnancy or kids is illegal and opens the company up to huge liability. You are  not allowed to ask an applicant if they have children or if they are married. I wish I would have made a fuss over how I was treated at my former job. 

pregnantmama105
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
. When I was pregnant with ds my min wage job I had offered me ft plus asst man. Training. I hope you can work something out with them
LNLMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Even questions like that are considered a huge no-no. As an employer-I get the whole bit about wanting to hire someone who is going to be committed to the job and how women with children will never be able to fully commit but in my experiences, children don't determine the worthiness/loyalty of an employee. It would benefit a company to be more family friendly rather than leave out very qualified candidates just because they have children. 

Quoting KatLee42513:

I hear that they can't technocly come right now and ask those questions but they can "trot" around the subject. I used to work for a lawyer...he didn't practice employment law so I have no idea if this is true....I get asked all the time "Do you have to sorry about daycare?" Which is a "trotting around the subject question"

Quoting LNLMommy:

KatLee42513
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Hhah can you hire me? Lol

Quoting LNLMommy:

Even questions like that are considered a huge no-no. As an employer-I get the whole bit about wanting to hire someone who is going to be committed to the job and how women with children will never be able to fully commit but in my experiences, children don't determine the worthiness/loyalty of an employee. It would benefit a company to be more family friendly rather than leave out very qualified candidates just because they have children. 

Quoting KatLee42513:

Quoting LNLMommy:

LNLMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM

lol..i would! 

Quoting KatLee42513:

Hhah can you hire me? Lol

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting KatLee42513:

Quoting LNLMommy:

D.O.E.
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
You must be American
You have the shittiest labor laws down there :-(
Sorry dude
In Canada you could take him to labor standards
dingysfamily
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM

If an employer ask you any question which is 'trotting around that subject' as you put it, all you have to do is remind them that is illegal and has nothing to do with the position you are interviewing for.  Of course, they can make note of that & use it against you, but it is still illegal.  I for one, would answer the question & say ... "All my childcare is taken care of and it's not a worry or a problem in any way."  It just solves that problem. 

When I was pregnant with my 1st son, back in 1971, I was refused a promotion because of being pregnant even though I had already put in my request for maternity leave ... for December, and this was in late August.  So when I told my husband about this he got really mad & ask me how long we had before our car would be paid off, it was automatically coming out of my paycheck (we had it financed through our credit union & got a discount for doing that).  I had 2 paychecks before it would be paid off, so he told me to just go ahead and quit if I really wanted to.  So I did ... I went in the next day, gave my 2 weeks notice .. it was a payday Friday.  When they asked me why I was quitting I was honest and told them; they didn't even get anyone hired in time for me to train them & they tried to talk me into staying longer,  I said no.  I had a car payment taken out the paycheck that day, then because they were 2 weeks behind, I received a paycheck my last day with a payment taken out and then I even got a paycheck w/o a car payment taken out after I quit ... plus some time owed me for leave!!  I worked for the federal government back then; this was before that law, & they could ask you anything & they could hold back promos because of you being pregnant.

Quoting KatLee42513:

Quoting LNLMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)