Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm being discriminated against because I'm pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
And it sucks... "I would promote you right now if you weren't pregnant" that's what I heard yesterday... Everyone is telling me to not make a stink about it because I will probably just lose my job. That's not fair to any woman. Sometimes I wonder about people. Just needed to vent...
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
D.O.E.
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
If american women were given a decent mat leave this wouldnt even be an issue

Quoting MidwestMama55:

I am a woman, and see no problem with it. It's realistic. I'm all for women having the same pay as men, etc. etc.,  provided they do the same job, put in the same hours, are just as focused, etc. New moms do not do the same, nor should they receive "special consideration" because they are pregnant, have a newborn, whatever.

LHoffman85
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

my boss had me cut my hours and because i had a lot of morning sickness in my first trimester he cut me down to 2 days a week and i lost my morning shifts. he said i wasnt qualified for the shift but i work the on the busiest nights of the week. i was going to take it to the labor board but i too was afraid to lose my job. i love my job and i worked hard to get where i am there. 

2teens2LOs
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

your response should have been then after the baby, I expect that promotion ;)

TeamBlueNPink
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I believe that is job discrimination.... id look at your police at work! you should get proff of this(someone else heard it, did they right it down)! they should of given you another reason not to promote you other than because your pregnant they can get in trouble!

Liastele
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

That was very wrong of your boss to say aloud in the workplace. He/she should have documented it differently and kept their mouth shut. I worked in HR for years and we never, ever SAID that kind of stuff, even though I assure you that 99% of management feels that promoting a pregnant woman is a horrid idea. My boss drilled it in my head that all of our paperwork had to have "legitimate" reasons for not promoting someone, even if the real reason was her functional uterus. 

Did others hear your boss say this? If so, you could have a legal case. I mean, your work will hate you forever, but you could possibly win a discrimination suit if others heard you say it and are willing to make a statement.

daydreamer3
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I would think if it's a promotion you'd be getting more responsibilities along with it. Maybe they can't afford to have someone who is going to be leaving on maternity leave take the position right now. 

honey27
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
What do you do? For work that is.
MeAndTommyLee
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Doesn't legally have the right to refer to you pregnancy as a reason for not promoting you. But it really makes no difference. You will need time off. Therefore, unless you are going to have your baby one day and be back at your desk the next, he does have a valid reason for the exclusion of offering you a promotion. Sorry.
Perle1
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Quoting MidwestMama55:

You bring up a very valid point. Thank you. There are men who are single parents. Here are my thoughts on that:

1. There are very few men raising children on their own compared to other situations. The vast, vast majority are women. So employers probably do not think of that as much, no. Doesn't mean any disrespect to men who do.

2. Men are able to compartmentalize much better than women. At work, they focus on work. Even with kids at home. Women tend to focus on many things at once. Multitasking is a myth. It's really doing many things, all ineffectively.

There are obviously exceptions to these rules. There are new moms who are hyperfocused at work. There are men raising children on their own who may need more flexibility. But not as a rule. I'm not anti-woman, nor anti-child. I've been a professional, been a SAHM.

Quoting KatLee42513:As someone who goes to all these job interviews & gets asked about children, I'm curious, does it ever dawn on you or any other employer that a guy may be a single parent. Not saying I disagree with you nut find it highly sexist that us woman are the ones who get the assumptions
Quoting MidwestMama55:

I'm a mom. I've also been a boss. So i've seen both sides. A new mom rarely can devote 100% of her brainpower to her job. She is less efficient because she's checking on the baby, missing work because baby is sick, leaving early, etc. I've done it, and i've seen it. Not trying to be mean, i'm just being honest. Men or women without children (or grown children) can just be far more consistent and reliable. Your first priority will be to your child (as it should be!), not your job. Your boss knows that.

Quoting mama-grace2:And how would I not be doing the same job??

Oh my god I can't believe I just read that from someone who has been a "boss." No wonder sexual discrimination is alive and well. SMH.
mama-grace2
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I work in a pizza shop inside the mall. I'm at about 2 years with this company.

Quoting honey27:

What do you do? For work that is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)