Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm being discriminated against because I'm pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
And it sucks... "I would promote you right now if you weren't pregnant" that's what I heard yesterday... Everyone is telling me to not make a stink about it because I will probably just lose my job. That's not fair to any woman. Sometimes I wonder about people. Just needed to vent...
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (31-34):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:32 AM

sorry they said that to ya...maybe once baby is a lil older, the opportunity might come again?

Ilovemybbgrl
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM
This is a crock of shit. My husband is a stay at home dad, that being said clearly being the bread winner you bet I'll beat all the males assess out of the water when it comes to work ethic and being reliable. "LIFE" happens that's why the flma applies to more than woman having a baby and I think you'd be pretty suprised at the amount of fathers who ARE single parents. You just stereotype sexes without knowing anything about the person in front of you. Sure a pregnant lady will take off to heal from giving birth and who's to say a man recently promoted won't take off for his wife having a baby or to bond with baby or to care for an Ill family member and take the full 3 months or sporadically throughout the year as he's entitled to as well? Such ignorance.

Quoting MidwestMama55: I'm a mom. I've also been a boss. So i've seen both sides. A new mom rarely can devote 100% of her brainpower to her job. She is less efficient because she's checking on the baby, missing work because baby is sick, leaving early, etc. I've done it, and i've seen it. Not trying to be mean, i'm just being honest. Men or women without children (or grown children) can just be far more consistent and reliable. Your first priority will be to your child (as it should be!), not your job. Your boss knows that.

Quoting mama-grace2:And how would I not be doing the same job??

mama-grace2
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Idk why but I'm surprised at some of the responses...
angieTN73
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Maybe they needed that position filled immediately and the person filling it, not taking lengthy time off any time soon. I don't know how far along you are, or how long you plan on taking off from work after the baby is born. I have 3 kids spaced about 3 years apart, & with each one, I took about 12 weeks off from work. I don't think they should've told you about the promotion when they couldn't offer it to you----unless, maybe you were inquiring about it. Anyways, I do feel for you. But, just try to put it behind you, enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and the prep of the arrival of your little one. Your time to be promoted will come again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)