Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I seriously don't know what to do!

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 39 Replies

On May 22 of this year my oldest (Joey-17)got into a "car accident". He has had 2 surgeries so far,trying to correct the damage done to his septum,his hearing (concusive hearing loss)and we had to have one of his wisdom teeth cut out because the force of the crash killed the root.

This being said,his cheek bone is still fractured in 4 places.The doctors said that as long as nothing else happened the fractures should stabilize;heal on their own.We have 2 doctor's notes (from different doctors,of course)that ask that Joe be excused from P.E.,especially if they were doing ANYTHING with balls (soccer,football,tennis...etc)because if Joe were to get smacked in the face it could fracture his cheek bone/eye socket further and cause another surgery.Well,apparently to keep his grade up the coach had Joe helping him.Putting equipment back up and that sort of thing.

Can you guess what happened?Coach "Roe" sent Joe out to the field to start picking up some things and a group of kids were playing dodgeball...Somehow or other,Joey got smacked in the head with one of those balls! Have any idea how freaky it is to have your 17 year old BOY call you crying to come get him cause it hurts so bad?!? Had to take him back to the ER,the ER doctor said that now it looks like he will need a surgery to stabilize the fracture around his eye socket!! (He will be seeing his doctors tomorrow)Uugghhhh! This was an accident,the coach didn't mean for it to happen and neither did Joe.But,now everyone (our extended family) wants us to try to get the school to pay for the surgery.Don't worry,I'm not planning on even trying to do it. This has just been a very long,frustrating year!!

LINK. (Link to first post.Made on the day of the accident;to help people remember.)

Thought for the day :

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible that way.

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

oh man...that suuucks!!

berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Get the school to pay for it. I had to do it when my son bashed his forehead open and needed stitches from the playground. Complete accident yea, but I don't want to be billed (or insurance) if I don't need to. I felt bad, but I did it. They paid all but one copay. Just make sure you give them ALL paperwork from ALL doctors including the hospital
berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Oh, and I hope your son gets better soon. Best if luck for your family
Slap_happy
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Poor kid :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry Mama! If your of a mind you could check on what insurance the school has for this kind of thing to help pay for the surgery. Nothing to write home about just something to help with the surgery! You are right it is an accident but accidents often have a consequence in this case surgery which costs a lot!

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM
The school and teacher are protected from this even if you file a bill to them. I was the teacher supervising a game of tag. I was following the rules set out to me by the school. It was winter, in the gym, and on tape. There is proof i was doing my job but one boy ran head first into a wall.
He hit so hard he fractured his eye socket and had a concussion. Was hospitalized for it. The parents filed a claim, both of them teachers in the school btw! I was brought in to narrate the video with the school lawyers, the parents and the principal. I was thanked for following procedure before and after the accident, signed a report and never was talked to again.
Nobody was angry or in trouble. It is what it is. Kids get hurt at school and school insurance pays for it.
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Thank you.He is doing better right now....It's just been a long year,and a hard one for him.The first accident was just as much Joe's fault as it was the other boy's but Joe got hurt the most.frown mini

Quoting berlgirl1224:

Oh, and I hope your son gets better soon. Best if luck for your family

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Ok,and thank you.I'll look into it.Coach "Roe" was freaking out,I could hear him in the background..."Tell them you WEREN'T playing!!"

Quoting NDADanceMom:

The school and teacher are protected from this even if you file a bill to them. I was the teacher supervising a game of tag. I was following the rules set out to me by the school. It was winter, in the gym, and on tape. There is proof i was doing my job but one boy ran head first into a wall.
He hit so hard he fractured his eye socket and had a concussion. Was hospitalized for it. The parents filed a claim, both of them teachers in the school btw! I was brought in to narrate the video with the school lawyers, the parents and the principal. I was thanked for following procedure before and after the accident, signed a report and never was talked to again.
Nobody was angry or in trouble. It is what it is. Kids get hurt at school and school insurance pays for it.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Well,just heard back from his doctor...he needs a surgery to place a small plate at the "corner" of his eye.The ball dislodged the fracture enough that the doc now doubts it can heal on it's own.Damn!!banging head into wall

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Awe no!!! I'm sorry. I hope all goes well from here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)