Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
This is not a plea for someone to "save" me, I just want to know that I am not alone.

Here goes...

I was raised as a fearful Christian.
Logic and nature has me questioning MY foundation - organized religion.

Yes, I believe there is a supreme being. When I hear my children's laughter, feel the power of a silent snowfall, or capture the elegance of the nature around me, I am confident that yes, there must be a God.

Nature, biology, and logic... That's easy! It's tangible and easy to understand.

The Christian faith, not so much.

Dare I veer from the only thing I've ever known to discover something that suits me better? I'm scared to death, that IF there is a Heaven/Hell, that I run the risk of losing out.
On the contrary, organized religion seems like an illusion. There's a small voice in the recesses of my soul that whispers 'it's bullshit.'

Again, I don't need to be "saved."
I just want to know that I'm not alone with these confusing thoughts.

Is this Paganism? Agnosticism?

So dang confused,
Amber
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Replies (31-37):
texasgirl77
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I am leaning more and more toward deism the more I learn. I definitely believe in God as creator. I don't however believe in all teachings of Christianity and I don't believe the bible is truly the word of God because, well, it's written by man lol. I like having a personal relationship with God based on my own experiences and reasoning.

Quoting AmberWetrosky:

You are freakin awesome!

Quoting texasgirl77:

This. I JUST realized this about myself too. I'm researching deism more in depth. Here's the basics:

Deism is a reason-based faith that postulates a belief in God through a foundation of Reason, Personal Experience and Nature (nature of the universe) with emphasis on freethought rather than a foundation of Divine revelation(s) and Holy texts. Essentially, through the use of Reason, God’s existence is revealed by the observation of nature and our own personal experiences. For the Deist, the order and complexity found in nature coupled with our rational experiences of nature leads to a belief in God.

Pm me if you want to talk more.

Quoting babie113:

you are a deist

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

interesting post.

i give you credit for being brave enough to share these thoughts with the group and the world at large.

such vulnerablity. i could not ever pose such a question myself.

AmberWetrosky
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Mehh..

It is what it is... I don't think I'm alone in this.

Quoting RoseWall:

interesting post.

i give you credit for being brave enough to share these thoughts with the group and the world at large.

just1kasz
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

This is where you started, asking if you were alone in your feelings.  And you see you are not. 

To anyone reading, anyone dissatisfied with your church or Christian upbringing.  I would just like to share with you that Judaissm in today's world is not as you have been led to believe.  There is a lot of beauty, heritage comfort and peace in living the life.  I strongly suggest looking into it or the Noahide movement.  And I'm here to answer questions.

Kasz

Quoting AmberWetrosky:

Mehh..

It is what it is... I don't think I'm alone in this.

Quoting RoseWall:

interesting post.

https://www.facebook.com/TreeOfLifeWisdom

ERINNICOLE851
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I hear you... I grew up not knowing if there was or wasn't a God. I found out whenever I met Him at the age of 17 and He became more real to me then the shirt on my back. Satan is the author of confusion so dont listen to those voices. Its all about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Not trying to save u or nothing, just wanted to shed some insight.
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Well you speak and think very well.
975Mom
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I was also raised in a Christian religion, but it didn't make me afraid or fearful so I am having a difficult time understanding what you mean when you refer to the religion you were brought up in. In what way did you feel fearful? Are you able to specifically mention which parts seem like an illusion or what seems confusing?

For me, I don't believe that anyone should stay in the religion they were raised in just to appease their parents or to fit into their community. Because I have thought this way since I was a teen, I read a lot about religion and I attended different churches even though I wasn't dissatisfied with my parents' religion. I also tried to become close to God through prayer and doing good acts. What I found out was that all religions has elements of good in them. Some do seem better to me than others. I have a higher tolerance than most people I have meet because of my studies. I actually came to believe that I preferred the religion I was raised in and I felt confident in my decision because I had truly thought about it and prayed about it at length. Even though I still ended up being part of the same religion I was raised in, I am a more confident believer than had I just went along with my parents. Now I have been actively involved in my religion for many years and I am still at peace with it. My favorite concept is that God wants us to be actively involved in doing much good without being forced. I like that because I want to do things that will bring happiness to myself and to others and if I do it without being forced, then it means that I am responsible. The more I feel good about myself, the more motivated I feel. I don't even have to worry about whether anyone I help is deserving or not because that isn't important. I can just do it whenever I wish or whenever God helps me think of another good thing. I may not be perfect, but my sins can be handled between God and myself directly unless they are very serious and that case I would need help going through the repentance process. I was taught that repentance isn't scary because it just means that you are returning to God and He loves you (& me).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN