Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Carseat Moms

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 18 Replies

I need all my carseat mommas to tell me what the best carseat for an infant is and How long are carseats good for. I was going to use my old one but it is out of date. We are trying to have a baby and we want to start buying stuff now.

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Average lifespan is 6 years. Do you want an infant seat or convertible?

kitty8199
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM
How much can you spend
Do you plan on erf
What kind of car
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Vallo
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Whatever one is safer. lol. I am thinking Convertible but Husband wants an Infant. so we are trying to get Facts on both.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Randi02
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM

We start with the First Years True Fit (convertible) for the newborn stage, and then put them in Britax Convertibles once they get bigger.

I'm picky about brand, and those are the only two brands I will use.

Mrs.Vallo
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I am not worried about the price that is why we want to start buying now and we have a 99 Buick Centery

Quoting kitty8199:

How much can you spend
Do you plan on erf
What kind of car

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

What ever seat installs properly in your car. You'd have to go somewhere they'll let you try seats.

Quoting Mrs.Vallo:

Whatever one is safer. lol. I am thinking Convertible but Husband wants an Infant. so we are trying to get Facts on both.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Mom2jngnc
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Are you in a warmer climate or a cooler one?

A cooler climate: infant car seat with the "shower cap" cover that covers the baby but doesn't mess with straps. 

Warmer climate you could easily get away with a convertable seat, and then snugli until you are comfortable with how well s/he sits up. 

I am a Graco Mom myself. Love their seats, love teh company. Not a fan of anything made by Dorel (Safety First, Cosco, Eddie Baurer, etc). 

Mrs.Vallo
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I live in Michigan so we have both cold and warm lol...

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

A cooler climate: infant car seat with the "shower cap" cover that covers the baby but doesn't mess with straps. 

Warmer climate you could easily get away with a convertable seat, and then snugli until you are comfortable with how well s/he sits up. 

I am a Graco Mom myself. Love their seats, love teh company. Not a fan of anything made by Dorel (Safety First, Cosco, Eddie Baurer, etc). 

Mom2jngnc
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I had a Sept and then two October Babies: so being able to keep them comfortable from house to car, was important. I am in NY. My May baby not so much of a big deal.

Quoting Mrs.Vallo:

I live in Michigan so we have both cold and warm lol...

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I wouldn't buy a seat until you are close to having the baby.  If you buy a seat today and don't get pregnant for another year, you'll lose almost two years of life out of it.  Most are good for six to eight years, but there are a couple of companies that have ten year lifespans.  However, there is no seat that realistically would last one child from birth to age ten, so unless you plan on having another one down the road having a ten year lifespan isn't a huge bonus for you. 

There is no difference in safety of a RF convertible over an infant seat.  Infant seats are very convenient, and are more likely to fit new babies better (though some convertibles do well with newbies).  Most kids really hate the infant seat after a few months and want to be sitting more upright, so you will likely want to get a convertible eventually anyway.  Also, with the new recommendations being to RF your child to the maximum limits, a convertible seat will likely get you to at least two comfortably whereas an infant seat usually will not.  I prefer to use convertible seats and then wear my babies while out. 

If I were having a baby today, I would get a Graco Headwise convertible seat.  It is one of the tallest convertibles on the market right now, and would likely last from birth until your child needs a high back booster (about five or six).  My oldest will be six in a few weeks and is riding in one similar to it, the Graco MySize.  When he outgrows it, he'll be going into a booster seat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN